Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #135/2020
The Ethio-German programme on Qualifications and Employment Perspectives for Refugees and Host Communities in Ethiopia (QEP) has been commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) in December 2017. The programme is co-financed by the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad). The programme seeks to provide better vocational training and employment prospects for refugees and Ethiopians; it supports the Ethiopian government’s efforts to build a strong vocational training system, to create jobs and to build durable solutions for refugees in line with the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF). Implementation takes place in Addis Ababa, Somali Region, Benishangul-Gumuz, Gambella and Tigray.
QEP works on three output levels and seeks to (1) increase the quality of vocational training (TVET), (2) broaden the opportunities of TVET available to the target groups and (3) foster entrepreneurship and pathways into employment. QEP works together with the public TVET system and tries to extend the standards of the Ethiopian TVET system to refugees. The programme follows an integrated approach, where Ethiopians and refugees benefit equally from better TVET and employment opportunities. In 2020, a fourth action field will be added to the programme: to support the Ministry of Science and Higher Education (MoSHE) and other relevant stakeholders such as the Agency for Refugee and Returnee Affairs (ARRA) on the topic of inclusion of refugees in TVET.
To support the smooth implementation of various activities at its Jigjiga Office and maintain close ties with Addis Ababa Office, QEP seeks to hire an Administrative Assistant/ Secretary to be stationed in Jigjiga.
Required Candidate: One
Responsibilities and duties
- Focal point for administration and finance related issues at the regional office in Jigjiga, Somali, and liaison with Addis Ababa office for finance and administration related issues
- Arrange procurement activities in coordination with Office Manager and administration/finance team in Addis Ababa office
- Assist organizing events (trainings, workshops, etc…): solicit price quotations from hotels, facilitate catering and travel arrangements as well as other organisational and administrative issues for the implementation of programme activities in the region
- Handling financial management, such as cash withdrawals, keeping petty cash and the corresponding cashbook, preparing and entering vouchers, checks and travel expense statements of staff for approval by the superior in Addis Ababa
- Responsible to handle GIZ internal financial transaction management software related to the Jigjiga regional office
- Processing settlement of applications for the reimbursement of travel expenses
- Submitting the end-of-month accounts from the project cash books and vouchers to the officer responsible
- Ensure availability of stationery and other office supplies for the implementation of the programme in Jigjiga office
- Dealing with invoices, cheques, cash payments and documents
- Assisting with financial planning, monitoring, and accounting for the project in close coordination with the Finance Officer and Office Manager in Addis Ababa
- Filing documents in reference files in line with GIZ’s and project internal regulations
- Drafting letters for internal and external communications and distribution to partners following GIZ letter standards
- Support data collection and knowledge management
- Coordinating effectively with team colleagues in Addis Ababa
- Any other tasks related to supporting the smooth operation of the programme
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- BA in business administration, management and accounting or similar area or comparable qualifications and skills
- Ability to work proactively and in a dependable, responsible manner with great attention to detail
- At least 2 years of professional experience in a relevant position
- In-depth knowledge of finance and accounting, inclusive software
- Sound knowledge of public procurement
- Confidential handling of data and information
- Very good working knowledge of ICT (related software, phone, fax, e-mail, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, Excel)
- Excellent communication, organisational, and human interaction skills
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Excellent language skills (writing, speaking, listening) in English and Amharic
- Language skills in a further language spoken in Somali is an advantage
- High degree of service orientation and willingness to perform an array of changing tasks in a flexible manner
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure you mention the vacancy number and position title ‘Administrative Assistant #135/2020’ in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers. Applications wi
thout vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”