Performance Monitoring for Action (PMA-Ethiopia), implemented in collaboration between the Ethiopian Public Health Association and Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, is designed to generate both cross-sectional and longitudinal data on a variety of reproductive, maternal, and newborn health indicators that can inform both national and regional governments. It is designed to respond to the need, highlighted in the 2016 Information Revolution Roadmap, to generate timely population-based data for decision making within Ethiopia. The project is being implemented under the directorship of Dr Solomon Shiferaw and Dr Assefa Seme from the School of Public Health, Addis Ababa University.
PMA-Ethiopia builds upon the previous success of the Performance Monitoring and Accountability 2020 (PMA2020)/Ethiopia and the PMA Maternal and Newborn Health survey in SNNP region. PMA Ethiopia features an expanded topical scope, moving beyond family planning to also include maternal and newborn health indicators, expanding geographically to provide greater regional representation within the smallest regions, and an expansion of survey methodology to include both cross-sectional and longitudinal data collection.
The Communications Officer will provide communications technical assistance to PMA Ethiopia. They will help produce user-friendly, accurate, timely, visually appealing, and well-written materials and disseminate them to appropriate audiences in both print and electronic formats in Ethiopia. The Communication Officer will help implement the communications strategy and data use translation plans by supporting development of content for external newsletters, coordinating internal and external events and developing tools to support program teams’ communications capacity building.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Create and manage Ethiopia-specific content for PMA’s external and internal websites, photo database, and publications log.
- Lead project staff in the production and dissemination of a variety of PMA Ethiopia data web and print products, including development of flagship data dissemination products.
- Take lead in dissemination of communication materials to relevant stakeholders.
- Provide support to preparing periodic performance reports for submission to the donor.
- Draft case studies and relevant project documents and suggest recommendations on varied issues (as and when required)
- Develop key promotional messages in consultation with the project team
- Develop original content for web stories, blogs, and info graphics including displaying key indicators on well-designed maps.
- Identify new channels for innovative dissemination and promotion of project materials and results, specifically relevant for Ethiopia.
- Provide essential support to PMA Ethiopia project events through each stage of the event production process: venue selection, logistics, budget, catering, promotion, invitations, participant management, and onsite support.
- Coordinate outreach activities for dissemination of PMA Ethiopia’s messages.
- Design and implement media campaign for activities of the PMA-Ethiopia project.
- Draft press advisories, press briefings and press release.
- Develop effective relationship with media personnel to coordinate interviews and monitor media coverage.
- Coordinate and plan activities with partner’s media networks.
- Support program team in development, translation and printing of training materials, training guides as well as other project related publicity materials.
- Understand donor sensitivities and branding requirements.
- Support implementation of PMA Ethiopia’s data translation plan and track progress to report against indicators for quarterly and annual reports.
- Carry out other project related tasks as appropriate.
The Communication Officer will work under general supervision and direction provided by the Co-PIs of PMA-Ethiopia with technical support from PMA’s Communication Lead.
The Communication Officer will contribute to the following deliverables:
- Successfully dissemination workshops conducted according to the plan;
- Drafted/developed documents of PMA brochures, press briefings and press releases developed and drafted;
- The project’s annual two pager brief report produced.
Contract Terms & Conditions
- The successful candidate will be hired as a Full-Time Employee (FTE) for up to 1 year with possibility of contract renewal or extension.
- Remuneration will be set according to standard of PMA-Ethiopia Project rate. All payments and reimbursements will be based on submitted deliverables of the employee.
- The employee will use her/his personal cell phone and a laptop for the duration of the assignment.
- Monday-Friday 8:30-5:00 for 37.5 hours/week
- PMA-Ethiopia Co-Principal Investigators (Co-PIs), with support from Margaret Miller, PMA Communications Lead
- 01 (One)
- Bachelor or preferably master’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, International relations, media relations or equivalent
- Five or more years working in the field of survey research, health communications, or social media, preferably in Ethiopia.
- Must be able to work in Addis and travel regionally up to 10% of the time
- Organized, detail-oriented, and adept at juggling multiple assignments to meet deadlines.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and logically and undertake independent problem solving.
- Strong writing, editing, and presentation skills.
- Experience making challenging subjects accessible for lay audiences.
- Specific communications skills, such as:
- Expertise in PowerPoint and Excel for presentations and analyses
- Proficiency in Drupal or similar content management systems
- Proficiency and prior use of Photoshop and Adobe Creative Suite, specifically In Design
- Familiarity with GIS software used for visualization of figures on maps
- Knowledge of social media monitoring and analytics tools
- Ability to work flexible hours i.e. weekends, evenings when required
- Professional proficiency in English and Amharic is required
- Experience in (familiarity with) family planning, maternal health, or nutrition fields preferred
- Experience with conducting trainings or capacity building preferred
How to Apply
Interested applicants with the appropriate qualifications and experience should submit/drop their most recent and detailed CV, a cover letter, & Names and addresses of three references to the Head Office of Ethiopian Public Association (EPHA) | Tel +251-1-416 60 83/ 41 / 88 | Close to Dreamliner Hotel on the way to Meskel flower about 500 meter from Dembel City Center, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in-person, by putting ‘Application-PMA Communication Officer’ in the subject box.
ONLY SHORTLISTED APPLICANTION WILL BE CONTACTED