Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better lives for all children, girls, adolescent girls and young women. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalized and most often left behind. We have committed ourselves to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls over 5 years, to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals, and in particular the goals on gender equality. Our organization is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work. We need bold, forward-thinking and innovative individuals to lead our country operations, driving change and delivering results that will allow us to reach our target of 100 million girls.
In Ethiopia, Plan has more than 25 years of experience in implementing its programme. Currently, Plan International Ethiopia mainly operates in seven geographical areas: Amhara, Oromia, SNNPR, Gambella, Benishangul Gumuz, Afar, and Addis Ababa City Administration on different projects funded by different donors including sponsorship.
Plan International Ethiopia’s main purpose is to seek Gender Justice for Girls, Adolescent Girls, and Young Women. We aim to help create an enabling environment where girls, adolescent girls, and young women are safe, valued, equally cared for, and have equal opportunities. Plan International Ethiopia will contribute to the global strategy by aiming to reach directly 2.1 million Girls, Adolescent Girls and Young Women over the period of the strategy 2020-2024 and to reach an additional 6.3 million beneficiaries through its interventions.
The position holder will be responsible for providing support for influencing and communication department in its execution of the communication strategies in line with the country strategic plan and global strategy by planning, developing, and implementing an appropriate communication strategy for the Project.
management scope, reporting lines, key relationships
Reports to: Ethiopia: Head of Influencing and Communications
Direct reports: None
Internal: The job holder has a close working relationship internally with the following departments and/or functions:
· Influencing and Communication: To plan and coordinate the task; to seek guidance and clarity on the activities; to update the work progress and report achievements related to planned communication and campaign related duties on daily basis
· Program: to identify and respond to the communications and campaigning needs of various programs; and to provide technical support in the due process when necessary
· Logistic and Administration: to request purchases as per the purchase plan
· Program Areas: to plan and facilitate tasks; provide technical support; train the team on brand identity guidelines, communication protocol and content collection for story writing
· Finance: to facilitate payments occasionally
· Business Development: – to seek information on donor’s requirement; to plan and facilitate tasks; provide technical support
· Regional Office: facilitate international media and visiting team for content harvesting; to provide information and technical support; to provide communication updates
· National Offices: facilitate international media and other vising team for content harvesting; to provide information and technical support
· Global Hub communication team: to seek guidance and clarity on global policies and new initiatives; and facilitate international media and other vising team for content harvesting
· HR: to provide technical support occasionally
External: The job holder has a close working relationship externally with the following departments and/or functions:
· Implementing Partner: To provide technical support; to train the team on brand identity guideline, communication protocol and content collection for story writing
· Government Offices: to facilitate permit and arrange meetings and interviews; provide technical support whenever needed; and facilitate events along with other Communication, program and operation team members, and implementing partners
· Visibility item suppliers: to see and check visibility items quality along with graphic designer and web administrator and logistic team; to check visibility items quality as per the organization standard
· Printing house: To check and follow up publications; to provide technical support as per the guideline if needed
· Media: service subscription; arrange press tour; facilitate payments
Level of contact with children
· Mid contact: High interaction with children
· The position is typical office environment with frequently travel to field offices to gather contents and information
Accountabilities and MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
Content Development and Sharing Including Website and Social Media Content (40%)
- Develop and share quality communication materials to the donor: take photographs, and capture project highlights to share with the donor frequently (for example suitable for social media, as PowerPoints and written reports).
- Write content for both print and web including the organization website, brochures, bulletin and newspaper.
- Sharing of relevant information with the country office (CO) and National Office (NO) networks for learning and scaling up best practices
- Develop relevant case stories and share to the donors, partners, Regional Hub, National Offices and Global Hub.
- Develop effective communication and campaign strategies in consultation with the relevant program team at the country office and program areas, regional and global communication and campaign team, and other stakeholders.
- Collect strategic information and present it to the Head of Influencing and Communication for further advocacy work with communities, local authorities, policymakers, judiciaries, and youths.
Provide Internal Communication Support (20%)
- Ensure organizational initiatives and projects related information are timely and successfully communicated to employees, national offices, and other internal stakeholders.
- Work closely with Business development and program team to fulfil donor and project communication requirements and compliance.
- Prepare messages, speeches, or scripts for senior executives in written and spoken form
- Ensure internal communications messages are consistent across all mediums and for different departments of the organization.
- Provide technical support for CO and PA staff to develop their communication and writing skills.
- Ensure the proper use of Plan International brand Identity guidelines, communication protocol, and other related guidelines across the organization.
- Prepare the senior leadership team and other staff for media appearances and interviews.
· Working closely with and support the Head of Influencing and Communications and other senior leadership team on crisis communication management and response.
External Communication and Networking (10%)
· Coordinate and communicate timely with other development networks with key decision makers, and liaison with national media
· Implement development strategies successfully to raise the awareness of the public and relevant bodies about Plan and the Alliance for gaining support to work together for the causes of high attritions.
· Network with existing and new partners and coordinate with them to receive and share strategic informations.
Event Management and Campaigns (10%)
· Represent and promote Plan International in important events at the community, municipal, zonal, regional, and national levels.
· In liaison with other communication, program, and operation staff, coordinate advocacy and campaigning initiatives to Plan’s global and local campaigns, ensuring appropriate messages and means to the local context.
· In liaison with other communication and program staff, shall ensure the production and dissemination of position papers and position statements, key messages on the campaign themes.
· Facilitate the participation of youths and community representatives in the various campaigns and events
Media Relations (10%)
- Take part in press conferences and briefings, develop fact sheets and talking points, and line up interviews and media related interviews in consultation with the Head of Influencing and Communication.
- Monitor media activity, track news coverage and its key issues, and prepare coverage reports
- Develop and maintain close contacts with relevant national and local Media outlets.
- Liaison with regional, national, and global office team for any kind of continental or international media visits and content harvesting
Brand Management (5%)
- Manage creation and selection of high-quality pictures for print and electronic communications, suitable for social media, and share with user-friendly system and tools
- Establish and maintain linkages with key government, non-government and other groups to raise Plan’s image.
- Ensure the correct use of all the branding elements in all internal and external communications, public events.
- Capacitate Plan International Ethiopia and Implementing Partners staff to comply with the brand identity guideline.
Planning and reporting (5%)
· Work with colleagues in Influencing and Communications, HR and MEAL department to do the annual, quarterly and other reports and plans as necessary for the department and the unit on time and to the desired quality.
· Work with Program, Partnership, HR and other relevant teams to respond to various relevant requests and support in reporting.
· Work with regional and global influencing, communication and campaign colleagues to provide content and input and for regional and global level initiatives, research and reports.
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
· Understand and put into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC).
· Ensure that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in day to day work.
· Ensure that Plan Ethiopia contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
Leadership and BUSINESS management COMPETENCIES
· Courageous in taking a lead, focused on Plan International’s purpose and making the most effective contribution within my own work context.
· Behave in line with our values and safeguarding practices, inside and outside work.
· Challenge own attitudes, unconscious bias and behavior and speaks up when they see wrong doing, especially by those who use their power over others to create fear or abuse.
· Understand and adhere to the policies, processes, practices and standards relevant to own work and keeps their knowledge and skills up to date.
· Honest and efficient in use of resources, including own time.
· Take responsibility for own performance and development: reflecting; seeking and listening to feedback; learning from mistakes; finding people or resources to help them learn.
· Constructive and optimistic in facing setbacks, challenges and change, using own initiative to analyze issues and improve things.
· Good team player, communicating effectively and being open and supportive towards those around them.
· Understand relevant sectoral context including how the sector operates in terms of funding and governance and awareness of Plan’s purpose, values, and global strategy
· Manage legal and reputational risk including risk assessment, communication, risk management and reporting in full compliance with risk-related standards, including in areas such as Child and Youth Safeguarding and Protection, Gender equality and inclusion, Counter Fraud, Safety and Security
· Manage activities and resources including skills in strategic thinking, planning and organising, financial planning and monitoring, negotiation and programme and project management
Manage people and information including skills in assessment and coaching, evidence-based management, communication skills, both speaking and writing, and digital working, including personal digital skills
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Qualifications/ Experience Essential:
· Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communications, Journalism, Development Communication, Behavioural Communication, Literature or Social Sciences.
· Strong experience in designing communication materials and campaigns on social issues such as child rights, human rights, workers’ rights, gender-based violence or child exploitation and abuse.
· Proficiency in MS office tools, publisher, Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop.
Qualifications/ Experience Desirable:
· Five years of related experience with international NGOs or multinationals pertinent work experience preferably related to children and human rights.
· Good media relations and knowledge of social media
· Fluency in English and Amharic language is essential (perfect written and spoken)
· Knowledge of other local and international language is desirable
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
We create a climate of trust inside and outside the organisation by being open, honest and transparent. We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.
We strive for lasting impact
We strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
We work well together
We succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organisation, including our sponsors and donors. We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
We are inclusive and empowering
We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programmes and our workplace. We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.
How to Apply
The closing date for the application is January 24, 2021. Qualified candidates should submit their application with the below link.
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
· Applications and CVs written in English will be accepted and
· Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
· Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated link.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk. Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.