The National Election Board of Ethiopia (NEBE), re-established by proclamation No. 1133/2011, is the constitutionally mandated body to conduct elections, organize referendum, and regulate political parties in Ethiopia. NEBE is undergoing institutional reform to enhance its credibility and capacity and conduct free, impartial and credible elections. Through the support of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), NEBE has contracted ABH Partners to provide human resource recruitment and management services.
Accordingly, ABH partners would like to invite applicants who meet the below requirements to apply for the position of Deputy Chief Executive Officer.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer, NEBE
Duty station: NEBE Head Quarter, Addis Ababa
Duration: 12 months with a possibility of extension
Expected Start Date: Immediately after concluding the contract
Purpose of the Role
NEBE is looking for an experienced and self-driven Deputy CEO to join the team. As Deputy CEO at NEBE, the person will be responsible for overseeing the overall administrative functions crucial for NEBE to meet its Constitutional Mandate.
The Deputy CEO is a crucial member of NEBE senior management team, who reports to the Chief Executive Officer. In this position, s/he has to support the CEO to manage NEBE administrative operations in areas of Finance, Human Resource Management, Procurement, Asset Management and Admin support. So we expect the person to be a hardworking and inspiring leader. In addition, the person needs to have great people skills, excellent acumen, be self-driven and having an outstanding work ethics.
Following are the key functions and responsibilities of the Deputy CEO:
1. Executive support to NEBE HQ including optimization of delivery
- Support the CEO to ensure that the Administrative Team acts as an efficient and client-oriented One Stop Shop for NEBE activities;
- Support the CEO in Overseeing regular monitoring of procurement processes to ensure that they are performed consistently and in accordance with the corporate standards and relevant public finance laws and rules.;
- Puts in place and regularly monitoring processes to identify, develop solutions and act upon operational and financial problems in consultation with the Chief Executive Officer;
- Support the CEO in developing the budget requirements of NEBE in consultations with Board, keeps a follow up of funding released from Government and reporting to be made to the Government on utilization of funds.
- In the absence of the CEO, provides advisory services on procurement, human resources, in consultation with the Board;
- Prepare and present periodic Secretariat activity and budget reports to NEBE CEO; and
- Perform other duties assigned by the CEO and Act on behalf of the CEO in his absence.
2. Support effective and accurate financial resource management and efficient procurement management
- Closely working with other team members on the planning process as it relates to financial and human resources functions, including periodical reporting in partnership with other teams;
- Regularly monitoring the management of services provided to the HQ and Regional offices, including accurate planning, forecasting and reporting of extra-budgetary requirements;
- Ensure proper management of the contributions from other resources and accounting for contributions to ensure that the money due to NEBE is properly identified, consistently and uniformly classified, recorded on a timely basis and received with sufficient supporting documentation;
- Regularly monitoring NEBE cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of account level, risk assessment, bank relationship management; timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site and provide report to the CEO;
- Support the CEO in monitoring NEBE compliance with Government and NEBE rules and regulations in the field and establishment and management of procurement and contract management strategies, provide report as deemed necessary;
- Support the CEO in developing of NEBE office procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, procurement promotion and introduction, performance measurement;
- Oversight of the management of NEBE assets, facilities and logistical services, including full compliance with procedures in the accounting for the procurement, utilization and disposal of NEBE assets.
3. Facilitates strategic human resource management
- Support the CEO to ensure compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies;
- Ensures optimal staffing of the office and projects;
- Facilitates knowledge building and management and ensures innovation knowledge transfer ;
- Leads processes to facilitate and promote staff learning and engagement.
4. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on:
- Organization of training for the staff on finance, Procurement and human resource management
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in finance, procurement and HR;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of good practice.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field;
- 10 years of relevant experience in Organizational Management;
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in public sector
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in Executive managerial position
- Respect NEBE’s main principles of performing in a free, impartial and fair manner;
- Strong grasp of democratic institutions principles;
- Ability to write and speak the federal working language and English; knowledge of additional international and local language will be an asset;
- Strong knowledge and experience of human resource management, finance, and procurement processes;
- Knowledge of government institutions working procedure and willingness to create a conducive work environment and to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to express ideas clearly, work in a team environment and create an environment that fosters good working relationships;
- Basic information technology and computer skills;
- Excellent knowledge and experience in organizing and ability to confidently work in a team environment;
- Strong technical knowledge in finance, human resource management and logistics;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Not a member of any political party
How to Apply
Qualified applicants can submit their, application letter along with an updated CV with three professional references, copies of education credentials and work experience via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by stating the position you are applying on the subject line of the email. Application may also be submitted in person to our office located on Bole Road, behind DH Geda Tower Addis Ababa from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday to Friday.
Application Deadline: 5:30pm, August 14, 2020
Qualified candidates who fulfil the criteria will be hired only following the approval and endorsement by NEBE.
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.