1. Job Summary
The Deputy Plant Operations Officer plan, direct, or coordinate the work activities and resources necessary for manufacturing products in accordance with cost, quality, and quantity specifications. Production Department Manager also review processing schedules or production orders to make decisions concerning raw materials requirements, staffing requirements, work procedures, or duty assignments, considering budgetary limitations and time constraints.
The Deputy Plant Operations Officer is responsible for carrying out quality control programs to make sure the finished product meets a specific level of quality. Often called quality control systems managers, these managers use programs to help identify defects in products, identify the cause of the defect, and solve the problem creating it. For example, a manager may determine that a defect is being caused by parts from an outside supplier. The manager can then work with the supplier to improve the quality of the parts.
The Deputy Plant Operations Officer works closely with managers from other departments as well. For example, the procurement (buying) department orders the supplies that the production department uses. A breakdown in communication between these two departments can cause production slowdowns. Production Department Manager also communicates with other managers and departments, such as sales, warehousing, finance, and research and design.
Deputy Plant Operations Officer directly reports to the Chief Plant Operations Officer and undertakes the following duties and responsibilities.
2. Detailed Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct or coordinate production, processing, maintenance, and quality controlling activities of edible oil production.
- Develop or implement production tracking or quality control systems, analyzing production, quality control, maintenance, or other operational reports to detect production problems.
- Develop short, long and annual plan of the production and ensures proper implementation of same.
- Leads the line and the staff management to achieve the desired objectives in a responsible and diligent manner.
- Creates and develops cohesive and energetic top and lower level management and strives for the existence of a sustainable motivated leadership.
- In collaboration with the management determines the material and human resources to implement Company objectives.
- Monitors and evaluates regularly the proper functioning of his/her subordinates
- Reviews strategy, operational manuals and procedures to implement product development, production and maintenance plans and programs.
- Review production plan of subordinate technical divisions to ensure conformance with Company objectives and policies.
- Observes that all systems in relation to cleaner production, quality control and assurance, and customer services, are in place consistently
- Organizes the different activities of technical departments to give maximum output to the company.
- Designs systems to minimize wastage of starting materials, intermediates, bulk, finished products and utilities
- Organizes the activities of the technical departments for maximum utilization of plant capacity & manpower.
- Review operations and confer with technical or administrative staff to resolve production or processing problems.
- Hire, train, evaluate, or discharge staff or resolve personnel grievances.
- Prepare and maintain production reports or personnel records.
- Set and monitor product standards, examining samples of raw products or directing testing during processing, to ensure finished products are of prescribed quality.
- Decide how best to use a plant’s workers and equipment to meet production goals
- Ensure that production stays on schedule and within budget
- Hire, train, and evaluate workers.
- Analyze production data.
- Write production reports.
- Monitor a plant’s workers and programs to ensure they meet performance and safety requirements.
- Streamline the production process.
- Determine whether new machines are needed or whether overtime work is necessary
- Fix any production problems.
- Act as Chief Plant Operations Officer (Plant Manger) as and when necessary
- Second/First Degree in Chemical Engineering/ Mechanical Engineering/ Industrial Engineering or related fields
Related Work Experience
- 8/10 years relevant experience out of which 2 years in a managerial position
Other Competency Requirements
- Managerial attributes
- Strategic thinking
- Change agent
How to Apply