Driver (Bale Robe)
GIZ- Internal / External Vacancy Announcement #147/2020
EU Support to SLMP
The Sustainable Land Management Program (SLMP) is one of the Flagship programs of the Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources of the Ethiopian government. It has been designed under the long-term (2009-2023) Ethiopia Strategic Investment Framework for Sustainable Land Management (ESIF) and the Agricultural Sector Policy and Investment Framework (PIF). Both are designed to strengthen domestic and foreign support as well as planning of investments that contribute to Ethiopia’s agricultural growth and development agenda for addressing issues related to the existing challenges related to land and water resources.
The European Union (EU) support to the Sustainable Land Management Project/EU support to SLMP (2016 – 2020) is an area-oriented landscape management project dedicated to increasing the productivity of land through implementing climate resilient sustainable land management technologies thereby improving the livelihood of targeted community contributing to the development and environmental goals of the flagship program, SLMP of Ethiopia. The project follows a new approach that operates concentrating on geographically distinct priority areas known as ecoregions specifically the Bale Mountains National Park (BMNP) and Yayu coffee-forest Biosphere Reserve (YCFBR) areas named as Bale ecoregion (BER) and Yayu ecoregion (YER) respectively. In both ecoregions, even the core zones are insufficiently protected from human activities and livestock movements while economic activities are allowed within defined limits in buffer and transitional zones. Because these buffer and transitional zones are somehow densely populated, significant pressure is being exerted on the protected reserve areas. The EU support to SLMP is working towards conserving the two ecoregions that has a benefit beyond the stated goal of the program in that both ecoregions have a global image and implication.
In order to fulfil the monitoring and evaluation needs for intended goals, the project needs to recruit proficient consultant/personnel with specific expertise as stipulated here under.
- Safely and responsibly performing all official travel using official vehicles
- Regularly servicing and looking after official vehicles
- Taking account of all available information on road conditions, accessible routes and locations
- Running official errands
- Assisting with other office work
- Provides passenger transport in an official car for office, project or programme staff, official visitors and guests
- Runs errands for the project, programme or office, e.g. sending letters and messages, paying bills and buying smaller quantities of office supplies
- Helps with transporting goods
- Completes the vehicle log correctly and conscientiously in accordance with GIZ standards
- Cleans the interior and exterior of the vehicle(s) regularly
- Checks oil, water, brakes and brake liquid, tyre pressure, battery levels and the entire vehicle, monthly or every 5,000 km (whichever is first), headlights, brakes, bodywork for dents etc.
- Responsible for the project vehicle documents and their good condition, keeping a vehicle log and recording monthly maintenance
- Calculates monthly petrol, oil and lubricant consumption for the daily cash fund and for forwarding monthly vouchers to cost accounting
- Reports need for service and carries out minor repairs
- Immediately reports all involvement of the project or office vehicle in accidents, including minor accidents, damage, loss or theft of vehicle fittings
- Assists in customs clearing, document exchange with authorities and institutions and other administrative, bureaucratic and logistics procedures; and
- Assists in and/or carries out other office activities and tasks as assigned by the Finance and Admin officer and/or the regional coordinator
- Uses all available information (including current radio news on traffic conditions) to update daily knowledge of road conditions, current passable routes and locations, and shares this information with other office drivers
Other duties/additional tasks
- Assists other colleagues as needed in the project, programme or office if there is no travel pending, carries out other office work on request
- Secondary school education
- Holds a valid driver’s license
- Discipline and punctuality
- Resilience and patience
- Appropriate appearance and attire, friendly manner with all passengers.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed.
- Good knowledge English and regional language and
- Able to communicate with local people with regional language (Affan Oromo)
Professional experience and competencies
- At least 5 years’ work experience as a driver with references
- No major accidents in the past 3 years
- Familiarity with city, region and field driving
The following further knowledge and other competencies have good credit for selection
- Excellent knowledge of the GIZ rules and regulations
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number “Driver (Bale Robe) #147/2020” in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorize applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”