ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
One Acre Fund works to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers. In Ethiopia, we engage farmers in agroforestry and community-based seed multiplication. In partnership with the Amhara National Regional State, these programs have planted more than 10 million trees, produced over 500 MT of improved teff seed and reached more than 65,000 farmers. Now, we are now in an exciting phase of work in which we are trialing novel approaches and preparing for scale-up in the coming years. We have over 8000 employees globally, and our growing Ethiopia headquarters are in Bahir Dar, Amhara Region, with small offices in Addis Ababa, Finote Selam and Motta. To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will start and manage new agroforestry programs and increase our impact in creative, cost-effective ways. We are looking for two people who will report to Senior Program Managers or Directors, each with a unique focus:
- Program Partnerships – you will develop solutions that address tree seedling market challenges, in particular those implemented through government and private partners. You will build a team to implement these solutions.
- Research and Trials – you and your team will focus on research and trials that improve the impact and cost-efficiency of our tree nursery program, including the rollout of new species and the development of a carbon finance pilot
- Manage a team of agroforestry professionals
- Develop partnerships, research studies, business models, field trials and programs
- Guide program strategy decisions based on data and evidence from the field, maximizing impact and minimizing costs
- Examples of projects you might manage include:
- Develop an extension support program. Work with partners to develop a strategy to incorporate tree planting benefits and best practices into the agricultural extension system in a more meaningful way in every kebele of Amhara region.
- Pilot an agro-dealer partnership program for tree nursery inputs. Work with partners to make high-quality tree nursery inputs available at cooperatives and farmer service centers on a credit basis. You would run foundational research, get support from partners, design the trial, hire and train staff and implement the pilot.
- Pilot carbon payment program. Work within the policy environment and farmer demand to design a pilot that generates carbon market revenue for farmers and the organization.
- Identify market access opportunities for tree farmers in our project areas. Assess their feasibility and potential impact.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- 5+ years of experience in dynamic organizations is required
- We are looking for candidates with backgrounds in any (not all) of the following: program management, people management, field research, management consulting, startup, entrepreneurship, innovations, pilot development, research trials
- Experience working in rural development programs or the Ethiopian agricultural system is a must
- Experience developing creative solutions to complex challenges is required
- The following would also be valued:
- Knowledge of government systems and policy in Ethiopia and experience achieving results within the system
- People and performance management experience
- Decision- and strategy-oriented research
- General G-Suite Fluency
- Bachelor’s degree
- Amharic and English
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Bahir Dar, Ethiopia with up to 50% optional Addis Ababa time after the first six months
Health insurance, maternity and paternity leave , housing, comprehensive benefits, and a flexible working environment
This role is only open to citizens, permanent residents, or origin cardholders of Ethiopia. Women are encouraged to apply. Women are encouraged to apply.
28 September 2021
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
How to Apply
Please apply here: https://oneacrefund.org/work-with-us/job-openings/g/?gh_jid=3291498