Finance and Admin Officer
GIZ- Internal / External Vacancy Announcement #148/2020
EU Support to SLMP
The Sustainable Land Management Program (SLMP) is one of the Flagship programs of the Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources of the Ethiopian government. It has been designed under the long-term (2009-2023) Ethiopia Strategic Investment Framework for Sustainable Land Management (ESIF) and the Agricultural Sector Policy and Investment Framework (PIF). Both are designed to strengthen domestic and foreign support as well as planning of investments that contribute to Ethiopia’s agricultural growth and development agenda for addressing issues related to the existing challenges related to land and water resources.
The European Union (EU) support to the Sustainable Land Management Project/EU support to SLMP (2016 – 2020) is an area-oriented landscape management project dedicated to increasing the productivity of land through implementing climate resilient sustainable land management technologies thereby improving the livelihood of targeted community contributing to the development and environmental goals of the flagship program, SLMP of Ethiopia. The project follows a new approach that operates concentrating on geographically distinct priority areas known as ecoregions specifically the Bale Mountains National Park (BMNP) and Yayu coffee-forest Biosphere Reserve (YCFBR) areas named as Bale ecoregion (BER) and Yayu ecoregion (YER) respectively. In both ecoregions, even the core zones are insufficiently protected from human activities and livestock movements while economic activities are allowed within defined limits in buffer and transitional zones. Because these buffer and transitional zones are somehow densely populated, significant pressure is being exerted on the protected reserve areas. The EU support to SLMP is working towards conserving the two ecoregions that has a benefit beyond the stated goal of the program in that both ecoregions have a global image and implication.
In order to fulfill the monitoring and evaluation needs for intended goals, the project needs to recruit proficient consultant/personnel with specific expertise as stipulated here under.
- Work closely with the GIZ-SLM Program offices to
- Effectively and efficiently manage the day to day administrative and financial activities of the project.
- Responsible for supervision of financial management and control the day to day management of the office; human resource management; proper procurement of materials and their storage;
- Follow-up vehicles management and handling the regional office petty cash and bank accounts.
- Will report to the regional coordinator
Finance and Accounting
- Ensure the smooth functioning of the accounting system in line with the GIZ standard procedures.
- Compile and submit complete financial documents, monthly accounts closing to federal office on schedule basis.
- Prepare local travel payments and internal transaction vouchers.
- Prepare income tax (if any) and withholding tax payments.
- Compile VAT documents prepare claim summary for sending to GIZ Country Office and follow-up on the reimbursement.
- Follow-up on un-settled items and initiate settlement.
- Ensure that all payment vouchers, invoices, receipts are valid and approved before forwarding it for payment and booking.
- Ensure timely payment of utility bills and tax bills.
- Ensure that financial files are labelled and filed according to GIZ’s regulation.
- Provide required documents for an auditor whenever Internal Control is conducted.
- Make bank and cash account reconciliations monthly.
- Follow-up with the bank on transfers made to regions.
- Follow-up for timely settlement of Financial Agreements (FA), Local Subsidy contracts (LSC) and Consultancy agreements in the ecoregion;
- Handle petty cash accounts.
- Make all cash and check payments of the project in the respective region.
- Record financial transactions on Cash and Bank books on daily basis.
- Prepare monthly average fuel consumption reports for Program vehicles at regional level.
- Prepare invoice for private mileage and telephone costs at regional level.
- Comply with, and ensure that staff comply with, GIZ- SLM policies and procedures.
- Keep and update annual leave records of the regional staff.
- Help to put-up and organise the office premises according to instructions.
- Update inventory records according to GIZ rules and regulations and take physical count on regular basis.
- Report irregularities observed, if any, to the superior and SLM federal finance in major cases.
- Perform any other duties as required.
- Assist support staff to use and manage their company portal services;
- Communicate with Federal office, refer on the portal for all available admin and finance information and update this information with other staff in the ecoregion,
Other duties/additional tasks
- Arrange and submit and follow-up financial vouchers from ecoregions to federal and GIZ country offices periodically and as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or other related fields
- Familiar with WINPACCS software is advantageous.
- Good English language skills, both written and oral and knowledge of regional language
- Excellent computer skills, esp. Microsoft Office;
- Working experience with the intended target groups (women and children, as well as community structures as intermediaries).
- Able to translate documents written in Affan Oromo and Amharic to English,
Professional experience and competencies
- At least five years’ work experience in finance and administration, of which 2 years in related responsibility;
- Familiarity with accounting software’s eg. WINPACCS ,
The following further knowledge and other competencies have good credit for selection
- Excellent knowledge of the GIZ rules and regulations
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email: email@example.com
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number “Finance and Admin Officer #148/2020” in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorize applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”