STARTING DATE: May 2021, or as soon as possible
CONTRACT PERIOD: up to December 2022
LOCATION: Addis Ababa, with possible travel in the IGAD region
The Austrian Development Agency (ADA) is the operational unit of the Austrian Development Cooperation (ADC) and is responsible for implementing all bilateral programmes and projects in ADC’s partner countries on behalf of the Austrian government.
ADA has been delegated to manage the funding allocated by the European Union for the support of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) under the EU Trust Fund for Africa (EUTF), Horn of Africa window, for a project titled “IGAD Promoting Peace and Stability in the Horn of Africa Region (IPPSHAR)”.
The overall objective of this project is to support IGAD and its Member States in the implementation of the Regional Peace and Security Strategy 2016-2020 and its successor, which defines peace, security and stability as prerequisites for the attainment of economic integration and development of the IGAD region. This will be achieved by enhancing the IGAD Conflict Early Warning and Response Mechanism (CEWARN) systems, supporting IGAD and national governments in the region to predict, prevent, and address transnational security threats and by strengthening their capacity on preventive diplomacy, mediation and civilian peace building. In addition to supporting the regular work plan of the IGAD Peace & Security Division in these areas, six separate grant projects have been agreed on within the IPPSHAR envelope to expand funding to specific instruments designed to enhance IGAD’s capacity to rapidly respond to felt needs in these areas. The project constitutes an integral part of IGAD’s multi-year peace and security program.
The IPPSHAR project budget envelope comprises around EUR 28.40 million, whereby EUR 25.25 million are provided by the EU and the remaining funds are contributed by ADA, Sida and the Netherlands. IGAD and ADA have entered into a Project Implementation Partnership Agreement (PIPA) for the implementation of IPPSHAR.
- Support the Procurement and Finance Compliance Officers (PFCOs) in all areas as required to assure steady implementation of project activities.
- Carry out all daily accounting entries and control cash management for all ADA and IGAD project accounts.
- Prepare all the required supporting documents and check invoices.
- Prepare monthly accounting reports as per the Austrian Development Agency (ADA) BAKAWA System and IGAD SunSystems.
- Prepare consolidated monthly financial reporting and quarterly forecasts if required.
- Ensure completeness of all receipts, payment vouchers and other documents before posting into the ADA BAKAWA accounting system.
- Properly code and describe as per the approved budget.
- Handle transfers on the project bank accounts in Addis Ababa.
- Produce monthly bank reconciliation for all bank accounts using the system.
- Supervise the preparation and settlement of all cash and check payments and prepare monthly statements including all supporting documents.
- Prepare and monitor monthly project budget reports, inform and discuss with responsible supervisor.
- Obtain data from the reporting system on a quarterly basis to ensure correctness of transactions and reconciliation as per the approved budget.
- Monitor office expenses and account status and ensure timely application for transfers from the ADA Head Office.
- Maintain finance documents and files in an orderly manner and ensure their full digitalization on a monthly basis.
- Support office procurement if required.
- Administrate and maintain the project inventory list.
- Support team’s reporting efforts where necessary.
- Other duties as required by the Team Leader.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Bachelor´s degree, minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience
LANUGAGES: English, Amharic
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting and Finance, Master is an added value.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with accounting and financial reporting; relevant experience with large scale donor funded projects desirable.
- Excellent skills for basic accounting systems, SunSystems would be an asset.
- Excellent English, interpersonal, written, verbal and electronic communication skills.
The Finance Officer will work with the ADA IPPSHAR team and IGAD staff based in the IGAD Peace and Security Division and its units in Addis Ababa. She/he will work closely with the ADA Procurement and Compliance Officers (PFCOs) and reports to the ADA Team Leader (TL).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can send their CV to email@example.com
Note: Use “Finance Officer” as the subject line of your email
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence and no application fees or information with respect to bank account details are required by ADA for our recruitment process. Please note
that in the event of an invitation for an interview, ADA is unable to reimburse costs incurred. Candidates must expect that references from previous employers will be requested by ADA. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Female candidates are encouraged to apply for this position. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply for this position.