EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
For more information, visit website: https://www.icrc.org/
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of Generalist Field Officer 2 (1 year fixed term contract), based in Mekelle.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Support community engagement in operation in Tigray
- Collaborate with field officer from Protection and Assistance in ensuring feedback from affected people is documented, analysed and integrated in operational response
- Integrate CE approaches and activities into programme plans and operations, outlining how CE will be implemented at each stage of the programme or Results Based Management cycle
- Seeks the assistance of specialists in the AAP department to address issues that require in-depth support, including integration of people with disabilities, age and gender, understanding local preferences for communication and feedback systems, managing the risk of sexual exploitation and abuse, and community protection;
- Support PSEA work within the sub delegation and with the ERCS branch
- Serve as a day-to-day point of contact with communities to foster relationships.
- Map local stakeholders and ensure appropriate approaches are identified to increasing our dialogue and transparency with them.
- Act as a reference point for programme teams on the different community stakeholders, and how best to engage with them.
- Based on the local context identify appropriate channels for communication.
- With programme teams develop communication messages and materials to explain about the RC programmes.
- Support programmes team to ensure activities are implemented in a transparent manner, and there is communication with communities via multiple channels.
- Encourage hygiene promotion teams to also deliver information on sanitation infrastructure activities.
Capacity development and technical support
- Provide training to ICRC colleagues and ERCS branch volunteers
- Identify and discuss within the sub-delegation barriers to integrate people centric approaches into programmes
- Work with the AAP delegate based in Addis Ababa to foster learning
- Support perception survey in Tigray in coordination with COM department
Coordination with COM department
- Support when necessary operational communication dissemination session
- Collaborate with Com department in contextualizing, updating the info as aid messages
- Support communication team in collecting perception survey data with ERCS branch volunteers
- Ensure assessments include questions on peoples’ information needs and preferred communication approaches
- Based on community feedback and assessment data, identify and utilise the best communication approaches to provide communities with relevant and actionable life-saving and life-enhancing information
- Carry out regular checks as part of monitoring to ensure information shared with communities is understood, relevant and useful and update as necessary
- A graduate degree in development, humanities, gender studies, evaluation, social mobilization, or social development.
- Ability to write and speak in English and Tigray (mandatory)
- Ability to use a computer, tablet or other equipment to collect digital data
- Comfortable in using Excel
- Five years’ experience in planning and implementing community-based approaches, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience working for humanitarian or development organizations in the context of developing countries
- Experience in an advisory role linking training and actions
- Experience in adult education
- Experience in establishing and managing accountability to community systems. For example, feedback and complaint mechanisms, rumor tracking systems, or participatory planning processes.
- Experience in mentoring, training, and development of local staff and volunteers to build long-term capacity and a sense of ownership
- Experience with the Red Cross Movement is an asset
How to Apply
Electronic application can be made ONLY through the ethiojobs.net website. Alternatively, you can submit application & CV with copies of relevant documents in person to the ICRC Sub Delegation in Mekelle OR, send to the ICRC Delegation Addis Ababa, Human Resources Department, P.O.Box 5701, Addis Ababa.
Closing date: January 23, 2021
Women and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted at all stages of the selection process.