Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better lives for all children, girls, adolescent girls and young women. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalized and most often left behind. We have committed ourselves to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls over 5 years to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals, and in particular the goals on gender equality. Our organization is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work. We need bold, forward-thinking and innovative individuals to lead our country operations, driving change and delivering results that will allow us to reach our target of 100 million girls.
In Ethiopia, Plan has more than 25 years of experience in implementing its programme. Currently, PIE mainly operates in seven geographical areas: Amhara, Oromia, SNNPR, Gambella, Benishangul Gumuz, Afar, and Addis Ababa City Administration on different projects funded by different donors including sponsorship.
Plan International Ethiopia’s main purpose is to seek Gender Justice for Girls, Adolescent Girls, and Young Women. We aim to create an enabling environment where girls, adolescent girls, and young women are safe, valued, equally cared for, and have equal opportunities. PIE will contribute to the global strategy by aiming to reach directly 2.1 million Girls, Adolescent Girls and Young Women over the period of the strategy 2020-2024 and to reach an additional 6.3 million beneficiaries through its interventions.
The position holder will be responsible to manage and keep up-to-date Plan International Ethiopia’s corporate web site and social media platforms in order to promote its image and increase public awareness with the aim of attaining Gender Justice for Girls, Adolescent Girls and Young Women.
management scope, reporting lines, key relationships
Reports to: Head of Influencing, Partnership and Communications
Direct reports: None
Internal: The job holder has a close working relationship internally with the following departments and/or functions:
· Influencing and Communication: to plan and coordinate the communication; to seek guidance and clarity on the activities; to update the work progress and report achievements
· Program: to understand their need, plan accordingly and facilitate; Provide technical support; to train the team on designing and social media policies
· Logistic and Administration: to request and follow up purchases as per the purchase plan; and to provide samples
· Program Areas: to plan and facilitate tasks; to train the team on designing and social media policies; and to provide technical support
· Finance: To facilitate payments occasionally
· Business Development: to plan and facilitate tasks, to seek information on donor’s requirement; and to provide technical support occasionally
· National Offices: to provide information and technical support occasionally
· Global Hub communication team: to see guidance and clarity on global policies and new initiatives occasionally
· HR: To provide technical support occasionally
External: The job holder has a close working relationship externally with the following departments and/or functions:
· Implementing Partner: to provide technical support and to train the team on designing, social media policies and Plan’s identity guideline occasionally
· Government Offices : to facilitate permit and arrange meetings
· Printing house: to provide designs; to check and follow up publications; and to provide technical support as per the guideline if needed
· Visibility item suppliers: To see and provide sample items along with logistic team and to check visibility items quality as per the organization standard.
Level of contact with children
· Medium to high level of contact with children
· The position is typical office environment with frequent travel in Plan International Ethiopia’s programming areas.
Accountabilities and MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Social Media
· Develop a contextualized web and social media strategy for plan international Ethiopia and follow up for proper implementation;
· Ensure plan’s social media fans have increased in quantity and engaged in the discussion and issues uploaded on the media;
· Ensure Plan International Ethiopia’s social media accounts are regularly updated with relevant stories, photographs and videos;
· Administer Plan International Ethiopia’s social media accounts (Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and Twitter);
· Administer Plan International Ethiopia’s website
· Ensure Plan International corporate website Ethiopia section is regularly updated with relevant information and stories.
· Manage any anticipated risks and develop mitigation strategy.
Graphic Design and Branding
· Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices and standards
· Design and layout of digital and print materials for all country programs and events; (Flyers, posters, banners, collaterals, invitations, postcards, newsletters, newspaper ads, etc.) and incorporate changes recommended by customers(Plan and Partner staff) into the final design;
· Carrying design and web projects from concept to completion while adhering to Plan International policies, brand standards and donor requirements;
· Liaising with printing companies regularly to ensure materials is printed to the highest quality and as per Plan International identity guideline.
Documentation and Content Management
· Upload diversified and high quality and hi-res images and videos with captions on the media bank for wider dissemination and use of information;
· Execute digital photography and video work with ethical manner: take hi-res photographs and short video segments, editing for publication, printing, backup and cataloguing for Internal and external usage;
· Ensure consent is sought for all images and video footages and adhering to Plan International Child protection guideline for Photography and Videography;
· Assisting the Head of Influencing and Communications with creative concept and collaterals for the different events.
· Contribute and collaborate with the program quality team to the establishment of knowledge & information management systems where necessary
· Country Program Information is well documented and shared internally and externally as necessary;
· Promote the proper use of Planet and workplace throughout the organization
· Regularly update and maintain Plan International Ethiopia’s media contact database;
· Provide training and orientations to staff on the use of social media, photography, videography and brand guidelines
· Liaising with other function staff to determine their requirement and need;
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
· Understand and put into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC).
· Ensure that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in day to day work.
· Ensure that Plan Ethiopia contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
Leadership and BUSINESS management COMPETENCIES
· Courageous in taking a lead, focused on Plan International’s purpose and making the most effective contribution within my own work context.
· Behave in line with our values and safeguarding practices, inside and outside work.
· Challenge own attitudes, unconscious bias and behavior and speaks up when they see wrong doing, especially by those who use their power over others to create fear or abuse.
· Understand and adhere to the policies, processes, practices and standards relevant to own work and keeps their knowledge and skills up to date.
· Honest and efficient in use of resources, including own time.
· Take responsibility for own performance and development: reflecting; seeking and listening to feedback; learning from mistakes; finding people or resources to help them learn.
· Constructive and optimistic in facing setbacks, challenges and change, using own initiative to analyze issues and improve things.
· Good team player, communicating effectively and being open and supportive towards those around them.
· Understand relevant sectoral context including how the sector operates in terms of funding and governance and awareness of Plan’s purpose, values, and global strategy
· Manage legal and reputational risk including risk assessment, communication, risk management and reporting in full compliance with risk-related standards, including in areas such as Child and Youth Safeguarding and Protection, Gender equality and inclusion, Counter Fraud, Safety and Security
· Manage activities and resources including skills in strategic thinking, planning and organising, financial planning and monitoring, negotiation and programme and project management
· Manage people and information including skills in assessment and coaching, evidence-based management, communication skills, both speaking and writing, and digital working, including personal digital skills
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Qualifications/ Experience Essential:
· BA / MA degree in computer science, information management or related field from recognized educational institutions
· A minimum of 3 years relevant work experience, preferably in international humanitarian and development organizations or printing houses.
Qualifications/ Experience Desirable:
· Experience in using social media and website or managing online communication;
· Experience or interest in the charity or development sector desirable;
· Experience in photos, still and video editing preferred;
· Hands-on experience in social media platforms eg. Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, preferably also of blogging;
· Understanding of the principle behind social media, and their potential to deliver interactive communications;
· Ability to work under pressure, prioritizing to meet tight deadlines.
· Proven graphic designing experience with a strong portfolio of illustrations or other graphics
· Familiarity with design software and technologies (such as InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop)
· A keen eye for aesthetics and details
· Image and video editing skills
· Computer Proficiency in MS Word, EXCEL, publisher, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere-pro.
· Adaptable and able to pick up new techniques;
· Excellent skill in layout and design;
· Excellent level of integrity, flexibility, innovation and team work.
· Fluency in English language is essential
· Knowledge of Local Languages is desirable
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
We create a climate of trust inside and outside the organisation by being open, honest and transparent. We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.
We strive for lasting impact
We strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
We work well together
We succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organisation, including our sponsors and donors. We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
We are inclusive and empowering
We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programmes and our workplace. We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.
How to Apply
The closing date for the application is January 24, 2021. Qualified candidates should submit their application with the below link.
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
· Applications and CVs written in English will be accepted and
· Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
· Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated link.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk. Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.