Vacancy Ref No: HAI/Prog/001/20
HelpAge International (www.helpage.org) is the secretariat to the HelpAge Global Network, which brings together a wide range of organisations and individuals working together to ensure that older people lead dignified, active, healthy and secure lives. HelpAge International’s secretariat is based in London, UK and closely works with its supporting network members- Age International, HelpAge Germany and HelpAge USA.
HelpAge has been operating in Ethiopia since 1992 and engaged on thematic sectors including social protection, health and wellbeing, emergency response and capacity building of local partners. Helpage is looking for a motivated programme Manager for its emergency response and resilience building effort in targeted woredas of Borena
Overall Purpose of the Job
The health and nutrition project officer will be based in Mega and will have a direct reporting to programme manager. She/he will be responsible for the overall implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the health and nutrition activities.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for health activities in collaboration with the health staff, field managers and, where appropriate, with the local communities,
- Continuously monitor and supervise health& nutrition activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data,
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to HAI, donor and other applicable timeframes and formats.
- Provide strong leadership of assigned HAI Partners of health & nutrition project(s), working to ensure both short and long-term positive involvement of all stakeholders including the beneficiaries, local health authorities, humanitarian coordinator, MOH and others health staff,
- Promote community participation in health and nutrition promotion activities
- Provide on job training for project staff as needed
- Ensure that supplies needed by the program under his/her supervision are properly managed
- Participate in needs assessment to establish future nutrition programs.
- Constantly monitor the nutrition needs in the project area and propose appropriate action in collaboration with project coordinator and other operating partners
- Ensure good standards in the delivery of health and nutrition services
- Contribute to development of new proposals, linked to the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers.
- Ensure that all documents guiding implementation such as budgets, work plan, cash projections are prepared and used correctly
- Ensure regular monitoring and reporting of project implementation.
- Conduct lesson learnt forums and document best and promising practices, lessons learnt and challenges at the end of each project life/ phase.
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned field team, technical advisors and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in health and nutrition coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing HAI and feeding back to the project staff and field manager on relevant issues.
- Monthly financial projections are prepared and submitted for funding in a timely manner.
- Facilitate preparation of project budgets, narrative reports, updates, financial reports and submit them within the agreed time frames
- Support regular in-depth joint review of programmes that is documented
- Carry out any other responsibilities assigned by the supervisor
Contract Length: One Year
RESPONSIBLE TO: Programme manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Management of Health and Nutrition Program in Mega
Internal: Programme manager, Deputy Emergency Manager, Communications Officer, Regional Protection and Inclusion Manager, Regional Nutrition and Health Manager and Country Director
External: Work with stakeholder
Qualification and experience
- BSC/MSC degree in health, nutrition, public health or related field from recognized university with 3-5 years extensive experience in management of projects. 3 years for MSc and 5years for BSc.
- Ability to work with the team while developing and implementing programs
- Ability to assess evolving nutrition needs quickly and calmly under pressure as required
- Excellent communication skills, with good spoken and written English and experience in report writing. Knowledge of the local language is an added value.
- Strong computer skills to allow assessment and project activity reports
- Able to work large volume of work with in short time period
- Demonstrable experience of working with international NGOs in programme/ project implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Ability to communicate technical issues effectively and persuasively
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a high profile, fast-paced environment
- Experience with training, facilitation and mentoring skills
- Familiarity with grant management and procedures
- Demonstrated initiative and self-motivation
- Proficiency in local language
How to Apply
First Download the summary format and fill out the required information carefully.
Indicate the vacancy reference No. and the post you are applying in subject line.
Then attach the following.
Current CV (not more than 4 pages) including three (3) professional referees
One page – cover letter highlighting job knowledge, qualification and experience.
Female meeting the minimum qualification and experience are encouraged to apply.
NB: Non-compliance to the above procedures will lead to instant rejection.
We are interested in how your skills, knowledge and experience indicate your ability to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the position.
Closing date: April 1,2020
Interested applicants who meet the minimum requirements are required to submit their non-returnable application together with the summary format by email address: email@example.com