GreenPath Food is currently seeking a professional, high-performance individual to serve as Integrated Pest and Disease Management Sr. Officer.
This individual will have the unique opportunity to help shape the future of a young, environmentally, and socially-conscious agriculture business in Ethiopia, one of Africa’s most promising economies. Ideal candidates have a passion for East Africa, a dedication to environmental sustainability, and the ability to successfully support the company’s horticulture production efforts as the company scales over the next 5 years to produce more than 500 tons of produce annually with several hundred + partner farmers.
Green Way Farms is a specialty food company that produces premium, organic food products through a network of smallholder farms across Ethiopia. Our mission is to support sustainable farms and livelihoods for small scale farms across East Africa, while providing sustainable supply chains for our global customers.
Green Way Farms currently operates its flagship operation in Butajira, SNNPR, with 100+ employees, 200+ Partner Farms, and plans to expand to multiple new geographies in 2021. With a growing team, farmer network, and global customer base, we’re on the lookout for capable talent with a passion for smallholder grown food and a deep commitment to improving its roots.
As a young, but growing company, GreenPath will develop new facilities and expand to new production areas in the months and years to come with a vision to become East Africa’s largest organic specialty food company.
The Senior Staff at the organization are a group of highly talented professionals with experience in Ethiopian export horticulture, and agricultural development sectors, as well as direct experience in the Ethiopian start-up context. Each member of the team has a passion for improving the lives of smallholder farmers and increasing access to organically and sustainably grown, high-nutritious foods, and is committed to seeing GreenPath Food realize its core objectives.
Mission of Role
To maximize sustainable production of a diverse portfolio of organic fruits, vegetables, and herbs by supporting, training, and working with the company’s smallholder Partner Farmers; to maintain a healthy business relationship with the Partner Farmers that reflects the nature of the company’s partnership with them
Responsibilities & Activities
- Ensuring proper scouting for pest and diseases in the farm.
- Advise on the best crop protection approach, basing it on the scouting reports; ensure disease and pest monitoring strategies are in place.
- Implement preventive measures against pests and disease.
- Train, motivate, agree on job descriptions, work plans and appraise all scouting and spraying staff working under you to ensure that they are adequately equipped to handle scouting and spraying work under your supervision.
- Initiate, implement, and follow the progress on IPM program.
- Ensure labor control and discipline of your team by enforcing company rules and regulations.
- Report to the Production Manager in a concise, detailed and comprehensive monthly reports via email.
- Ensures that all security and safety procedures in handling crop protection products are strictly adhered to by all staff for auditing and compliance.
- Ensure flushing and cleaning of the spray equipment’s to prevent damages on the plants during crop protection product application.
- Ensure that measuring and mixing of crop protection products is done appropriately for efficacy.
- Prepare the daily spray program for timely spraying.
- Maintain and report weekly crop protection product spray records for traceability, references and audit purposes.
- Make follow up on the efficacy of the crop protection product for better pest and disease control.
- Ensure that spray team adequately uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to prevent exposure.
- Ensure that spraying equipment are calibrated and in good working condition for effective application and safety.
- Trains the Farm Production Officers, Deputy Officers, Partner Farmers, and spray operators to enhance productivity and efficiency.
- Evaluate the team to measure performance and identify areas of improvement
- Ensure timely requisition of crop protection products for smooth implementation of spray program
- Allocate spray labor to various production sections for smooth implementation of spray program and disinfection.
- Be sure that Phyto-toxicity tests are conducted for new crop protection products to confirm their safety on crops.
- Be sure that all new crop protection products are permitted under EU Organic Certification
- Enforce the healthy safety and environment rules and regulations to be implemented according to the standards.
- Make sure that Post Harvest Interval (PHI) is known & maintained by each farm before product harvest.
- Monitor contamination of inorganic inputs from bordering farm.
- Manage proper store arrangement and check stock balance and order on time.
- Maintain and keep records of weekly spray, weekly scouting reports.
- Deploy spray rotation program and monitor implementation process.
Key Performance Indicators
- Spray Instructions implemented Weekly
- Scouting reports actioned Weekly
- Disease/pest eliminated Weekly
- Record keeping in line with certifications Weekly
- Improve efficacy of IPM strategies Weekly
- Reduce cost of IPM strategies Weekly
Competencies & Characteristics
- Honest and direct when sharing both positive and negative information
- Enthusiastic, energetic, and driven in challenging situations
- Strong communicator and motivator in both Amharic and English
- Comfortable with taking responsibility
- Passionate about food
- Degree in Horticulture or agriculture
- Two years’ experience in scouting and or Crop protection.
- Proactive approach to prevent disease and pests.
- Ability to provide urgent solutions.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Planning, supervising and inspecting spray programs.
- Initiative to work as part of a team.
- Willing to follow instructions
- Up-to-date knowledge of developments and a methodical approach to solving problems
- Prepare routine reports and maintain routine records
- Experience working at an early-stage organization
- Experience working with at least 3 of the following crops:
- Avocados, chilies, legumes, sage, lemongrass, or rosemary
- Significant professional and/or personal time spent in a rural context, around farms and farming communities
- Experience with organic production
The position reports to the Production Manager.
This position is based full time in Butajira, Gurage Zone, SNNPR.
How to Apply
Please submit your application materials through the EthioJobs website only.
Women candidates are highly appreciated.