MEAL Manager is responsible for MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning) and Information Management (IM) and is also the direct line manager of a MIS/IM officer, and all the MEAL and DATA teams working in Ethiopia/Somaliland/Somalia within his/her geographical scope.
In regional program, the MEAL manager will come under the Program Director and the overall coherency of projects is ensured by the MEAL manager (PME, project management and project quality).
The MEAL Manager will be based in Addis Ababa, with at least 20% of the working time will be spent in regular professional travels to HI Ethiopia, Somaliland and Somalia and consortium partners projects areas all-over the country as required.
Defines and oversees the implementation of MEAL and Information Manager (IM) action plans for Ethiopia/Somaliland/Somalia mission.
• Is responsible for the implementation of monitoring systems, data collection, information management, evaluation, accountability towards affected populations and the management of knowledge adapted to the context and in compliance with HI standards;
• Verifies coherency between the systems in place on the different projects and with HI’s frameworks and standards and ensures that these systems are capable of consolidating information for global steering of the programme;
• Steers the performance of his/her service.
1.1 Contributes towards improving HI’s programming in response to development gaps and humanitarian needs for Ethiopia/Somaliland/Somalia mission
• Helps with the development of country specific operational strategy and its monitoring tool in line with HI strategy;
• Develop framework and system for data and information collection, analysis and presentation in a form that is useful for learning and quality control to support program strategies and projects development.
• Implement tools for measuring effect and impact and facilitating decision-making, learning and accountability;
• Puts in place mechanisms for ensuring accountability towards affected populations;
• Contributes towards the application of HI’s institutional policies
1.2 Contributes towards defining and improving the quality of projects in line with HI’s global frameworks and technical standards
• Provides support to project teams, business development officers and technical specialists for establishing quality indicators, monitoring methods and data collection tools;
• Provide relevant input, technical backstopping and data throughout the project cycle development, with a specific focus on needs assessments, baselines and design of project with relevant and measurable indicators, and aligned to HI’s Gender and Disability Policy provisions, and other relevant policies.
• Facilitates and supports the external and internal M&E missions in inclusive manner
• Ensure uptake mechanisms are in place to use the learning and information from the project for effective, relevant, sustainable and efficient project implementation
• Be responsible for ensuring regular project evaluations.
1.3 Contributes towards improving the quality of the management for Ethiopia/Somaliland mission as defined in HI’s Project Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation policy
• Provides technical support to the project teams for the implementation of monitoring, evaluation and accountability tools and methods;
• Provides technical support to the Program Director, Country Manager, Operational Manager and Project Managers for the application of PME policy;
• Oversees the application of PME policy for Ethiopia/Somaliland/Somalia mission;
1.4 Contributes towards the ownership of learning frameworks and methodologies by the program and by HI in general for Ethiopia/Somaliland/Somalia mission
• Implements processes and methods for collecting, analyzing, modelling and ownership of the knowledge produced;
• Proposes a participatory analysis of the information collected and the knowledge produced to strengthen collective learning;
• Ensures the regular revision project performances and continuous improvement of learning frameworks and methodologies and communicate regularly to relevant departments/units including HQ MEAL unit.
• Ensures access to relevant internal and external information on programme development and humanitarian needs for all staff in Ethiopia/Somaliland/Somalia mission.
1.5 Contribute to MEAL and IM sector development as proposed by HQ Innovation, Impact & Information Division.
Ensures the external representation and promotion of HI’s expertise
• Collaborate with other HI MEAL Managers to ensure regional coherence and representation;
• Contributes towards advocacy on specific subjects (notably through the consolidation of evidence-based data and analysis) in line with the operational strategy and HI federal advocacy priorities;
• Contributes locally to communication messages in line with the operational strategy and HI federal communication priorities.
Manage and accompany the project team
Assumes the role and stance of manager for his/her staff and helps facilitate MEAL and IM sector development
• Fosters a team spirit and teamwork to develop the necessary synergies between the Program’s different services. Encourages the exchange of practices within and between services;
• Recruits and contributes to the development, autonomy and professional well-being of his/her staff: support her/his staff individual objectives; ensures that the know-how and motivation of his/her team corresponds to the organization’s needs; assesses his/her staff’s individual performance; contributes towards their career development.
• Supports his staff by having all necessary means to fulfill their Job responsibilities.
• Provides feedback on performance based on individual and collective achievements.
• Embodies and transmits HI’s values, ensures respect of its code of conduct and institutional policies and is vigilant with regard to expected attitudes and individual and collective behaviors.
|Education||– Masters in humanitarian aid and/or development and/or international project management, or in any other similar and relevant area (international studies, etc.)||M. Sc Degree in software applications such as Excel, Access, or statistics software such as SPSS, STATA and database applications.|
|Experience||– Minimum of 5 years’ experience of coordinating aid and development projects, including at least 2 years in MEAL functions||– Setting up of MEAL and IM systems and experience using computer based applications.|
|Competencies (knowledge, capacities required for the post)||
– Excellent communication and analytical capacities to process information, develop and review M&E frameworks.
– Familiarity with using qualitative and quantitative research methods of data collection and analysis.
– Good knowledge of and experience with methods to produce infographics and other presentation of evaluation findings for uptake of information for learning in the PCM
– Knowledge of gender, disability and age related components and how to integrate them systematically in MEAL and Accountability Mechanisms.
– Familiarity with and good knowledge of participatory methods of MEAL and accountability mechanisms to enhance learning outcomes and uptake.
– Good writing and presentation capacities to provide briefs and reports to present synthesis of MEAL processes, outcomes and approach of HI Program.
– Team leadership skills
– PCM, Knowledge and information management skills.
– Mobile data collection using mobile and GIS software.
|Knowledge of software applications such as Excel, Access, or statistics software such as SPSS, STATA and database applications.|
|Personal qualities :||– Excellent interpersonal and intercultural skills
– Open-minded and respectful attitude, eager to understand a given cultural context
– Dynamic and proactive
– Leadership, capacity to mobilize a team, taste for teamwork
– Flexibility and adaptation capacities
How to Apply
Interested applicants who meet the above criteria should fill in the attached application form Job application form updated.docx and submit it with a 1 page motivation letter through ethiojobs or email it at email@example.com on or before the above mentioned deadline.
Please clearly state the position you apply in the subject of your email. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for exam/interview no phone calls please.
We’re committed to safeguarding and promoting child protection and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This position involves working with beneficiaries and is subject to strict safer recruitment checks. The successful candidate will be required to complete a police check and sign self-declaration form to help us verify your suitability to work with children including checks with past employers.
Humanity & Inclusion is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes women and persons with disabilities to apply.