TRAVEL: Travel may be required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office work environment.
The Media Engagement Consultant is expected to support the Communications Department at the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia (hereinafter ‘NEBE’) on a range of issues including the development and execution of an effective media engagement strategy to support the success of the upcoming Ethiopian general elections.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and/or update media and journalists’ contacts;
- Receive and organize inquiries from the press or other media representatives and present them to NEBE communications manager for response;
- Draft press releases and news reports for the media, the NEBE website and social media pages;
- Monitor urgent matters that need a media response related to the NEBE;
- Coordinate with media monitoring team and recommend possible media responses;
- Prepare an online media engagement strategy and database;
- Organize press conferences, media interviews and media briefings for the NEBE;
- Distribute approved press releases to media and other stakeholders;
- Ensure NEBE events and initiatives receive high media coverage;
- Design different strategies to promote and ensure high media coverage of NEBE’s work;
- Serve as a lead communications person between NEBE and the media community for any engagement;
- Identify basic information needs and ensure they are available for stakeholders, including the media;
- Any other duty assigned by the NEBE communications manager.
SKILLS & SPECIFICATIONS:
- Ability to establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships;
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment, and take the initiative to direct own and others’ activities;
- Ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines and show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness;
- Not be a member of any political party;
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality;
- Ability to conduct self with integrity, and function ethically and impartially;
- Comfortable with public appearances and strong ability to organize events;
- Strong oral and written communication in Amharic and English;
- Strong knowledge of the electoral, political environment in Ethiopia;
- Strong knowledge of the Ethiopian media landscape;
- Strong command of more than one NEBE working languages preferred.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Journalism, Communications, International Relations or related field is required;
- Five years of demonstrated professional experience, out of which three years of direct work with media are required;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Fluency in English and Amharic required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applied applicant should apply through the email below
Please state the subject line of your email As “Media Engagement Consultant”