In Ethiopia, the Swiss Agency for Development & Cooperation (SDC) operates through the International Cooperation Department of the Embassy of Switzerland in Addis Ababa. It bears responsibility for all international development and humanitarian assistance programmes of the Government of Switzerland in the country, in close coordination with the Embassy of Switzerland in Kenya, with which it co-manages the Swiss Regional Programme Horn of Africa.
The current Swiss Cooperation Strategy Horn of Africa (CSHoA) 2018-2021 focuses on Somalia and the arid and semi-arid lands of South-Eastern Ethiopia and North-Eastern Kenya. The strategy covers four sectors: food security, health, governance and migration/protection.
The National Programme Officer (NPO) supports the international Programme Manager (based in Addis Abeba) in the analytical, strategic, operational and representative activities of the GPFS team in Addis.
Direct superior: First Secretary in Development Cooperation
Directly subordinated employee(s): None
Starting on: As soon as possible (with probation period of 3 months)
Administrative Unit & Duty Station: Embassy of Switzerland in Ethiopia (Addis Ababa)
- University Master’s degree in natural science, agriculture, rural economy or social sciences and development, with a good understanding of the scientific, social, economic and cultural approaches and methods. University degree (Bachelor’s level) in a relevant field such as Communication, Business Administration or Social Sciences;
- A found understanding and practical experiences in interdisciplinary approaches of sustainable development and food security in Africa.
- An excellent understanding of the social, economic, ecological and political situation in Africa and of related development challenges for the African society.
- An excellent understanding of the international and African development policy such as formulated by the AU, IGAD, UN, and other comparable global and regional bodies.;
- A good understanding of the principles and practices of international development and humanitarian cooperation.
- Minimum 7 years relevant working experience in the field of international development and cooperation, preferably with regional or international (multilateral and bilateral) organizations
- Knowledge and practical experiences in policy and or programmes related to Food Security, Agro ecology, Organic Agriculture, Marketing, and Healthy Nutrition.
- Practical experience in the management of development projects in the context of international cooperation. Knowledge and experiences in gender equality approaches
- High individual autonomy and a high sense of personal responsibility, including creativity and innovative capacity and willingness to learn and to embrace change.
- Capacities in advocacy and policy dialog with different institutional partners (Government, International Organizations, and Civil Society Organizations).
- Good network and team work abilities.
- Sensitive to issues regarding small scale farmers, minorities and disadvantaged groups.
- Excellent knowledge of English, both written and spoken, with a particular talent in exact and correct writing.
- Reading abilities in French and or German are assets.
- Proficient in computer skills, including communication through social media.
Duties and competences that come along with this position:
- The NPO is carrying out the tasks assigned in an independent and self-organized manner, including related documentation, communication and information activities. The NPO assures a steady information flow towards the GPFS in head office, the Agriculture and Food Security Network, and the Swiss regional Horn of Africa program especially on relevant issues of food security.
Programmer Management GPFS:
- Establish and maintain relations to operational partners; Management of projects according to the SDC specific Project Cycle Management; Ensures the financial management of the projects; Assist in institutional development of the partners; Promotes learning processes; convene, organize and facilitate dialogue, knowledge sharing and joint eLearning with the partners. Coordinating the HoC appointment schedule by planning and scheduling their participation in external meetings, seminars, conferences, etc.;
Food Security in Africa:
- Observe, analyze and document food security situation and related policies in Africa; Communicate facts and trends as requested; Participate in and contribute to consultation related to Swiss positions in food security related initiatives Supporting, in coordination with the Operational Management & Support Department, key meetings, seminars, workshops, conferences and other such events relating to the SCO’s mandate in Ethiopia;
Communication, Networking and Learning:
- Participate in national, regional, and global networking on issues closely related to GPFS strategic frameworks; Represents the GPFS in the dialogue with partners and in policy dialogue in the Sub Saharan Africa; Participate in all further tasks assigned and services provided to the GPFS in Africa.
Collaboration with the SDC Regional Program:
- Contributes to an improved collaboration between the GPFS and the Swiss regional program by active exchanges and discussions on the strategic evolution of the regional program and the identification of synergies and possible collaborations between the GPFS and the regional program. Participates in key moments of the regional program such as the annual report, the annual planning, the discussion on new strategies, the discussions on new projects, etc. especially on to food security.
Other Tasks and Duties:
- Participates in the organizational development of the Swiss Cooperation Office and the Embassy of Switzerland in Addis Abeba by performing specific organizational, administrative and financial tasks; contributes to a good team spirit within the SCO and the Embassy by actively participating to all events with open mind and committed participation; assists colleagues to perform their tasks by supporting and collaborating with them.
How to Apply
The Embassy of Switzerland in Addis Abeba is recruiting one National Programme Officer for the Global Program Food Security (GPFS) of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, based in Addis Abeba. Requested profile of candidates: Master degree in Agriculture, Economy, and or Social Science; at least 7 years of relevant professional experience; expertise in: Agroecology, Land Governance, Nutrition, etc.; Excellent English skills. For more information regarding the GPFS portfolio, see following website: https://www.eda.admin.ch/deza/en/home/sdc/organisation/departments/global-cooperation/global-programme-food-security.html
Criteria’s for applications:
Applicants must possess a valid employment permit in Ethiopia.
Only neatly formatted applications, drafted in excellent English will be considered.
Applications should include (1) a motivation letter (maximum one page); (2) a curriculum vitae (maximum three pages); (3) two reference persons (mobile phone numbers only); and (4) copies of relevant university degrees and other diplomas, incl. work certificates (if available).
Applications should be sent in one single email in PDF format to email@example.com by March 15th, 2021 at the latest with following subject: “Application for NPO GPFS, SDC Ethiopia”.
Only applications 100% compliant with the above criteria are considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.