Procurement and Contract Officer
GIZ-Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #044/2021
CLM (Climate-sensitive Innovations for Land Management)
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development policy objectives. GIZ promotes reforms and change processes. In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 50 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and on commission of the Ethiopian government and international donors.
The Sustainable Land Management Program (SLMP) is one of the Flagship programs of the Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources of the Ethiopian government. It has been designed under the long-term (2009-2023) Ethiopia Strategic Investment Framework for Sustainable Land Management (ESIF) and the Agricultural Sector Policy and Investment Framework (PIF). Both are designed to strengthen domestic and foreign support as well as planning of investments that contribute to Ethiopia’s agricultural growth and development agenda for addressing issues related to the existing challenges related to land and water resources.
GIZ has been supporting the implementation of SLMP since 2008 in different forms in Amhara, Oromia and Tigray regions. Starting from 2015, GIZ SLMP increased its geographical coverage and included three additional regions, Benishangul-Gumuz, Gambella and Southern Nations Nationalities Peoples’ Region.
Within this global framework, GIZ-CLM (Climate-sensitive Innovations for Land management 2021 – 2024) will focus on the enhancement of the efficiency of agricultural advisory services delivered by federal, regional and local institutions for planning and implementing sustainable land management measures.
Against this background, GIZ Ethiopia is recruiting a procurement and contract officer as outlined below:
Duration of the Contract: From July 01, 2021 to June 30, 2022
- Coordinate effectively all activities related to procurement of goods and services of the program;
- Purchase materials, equipment and services in accordance with GIZ rules and conditions;
- Handle various types of contract processing services of the program and its follow-up;
- Coordinate effectively with colleagues in the administrative division, finance department and with procurement and contract officers at GIZ country office;
- Maintain procurement and contract follow up database.
- Stay actively informed on changes in GIZ procurement and contract regulations;
- Identify bottlenecks and recommend changes for the improvement of the procurement and contracting process.
- Receive and review purchase requests for compliance, with GIZ rules and further processing at project level or transfer to procurement unit at Country Office
- Purchase materials as per service request from the respective unit and deliver items to the storekeeper by ensuring proper documentation;
- Draft standard letters for quotations and orders and collect pro-forma invoices;
- Prepare price analysis for decision making;
- Establish and update regularly list of local suppliers for direct purchase request, request for quotations;
- Support and facilitate the procurement request of Regional offices;
- Ensure proper and chronological filing of procurement documents and submit monthly status report to superior;
- Receive and review contracting requests for compliance with GIZ rules and further processing;
- Prepare contracts within the project limit and follow up contracts prepared at the country office;
- Maintain the project database for consulting and other service contracts, upload contracts to the GIZ data management system;
Required qualifications, professional experience and additional competencies
- University degree (BA) in business management, Procurement and Supply Management or equivalent;
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in a similar position;
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in an international organization;
Other knowledge and additional competencies
- Good knowledge of GIZ rules and regulations is an asset;
- Very good working knowledge of standard ICT applications of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and willingness to obtain proficiency in GIZ-specific applications (MS Teams, OneDrive, OneNote, IDA);
- Proven fluency in written and spoken of English and Amharic language;
- Trustworthiness and ability to maintaining strict confidentiality and observing data protection and associated guidelines where appropriate;
- Ability to work autonomously, taking initiatives within the defined responsibility frame and as part of a multicultural and international team.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘Procurement and Contract Officer #044/2021’ in the subject line of your email application.
Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”