The Procurement Coordinator for Construction is responsible for the overall functional aspects of construction related procurement in coordination and collaboration with the country Construction Team, Program Operations and internal stakeholders. The role requires a high level of technical and qualified skills in construction and infrastructure projects. The post holder will play a core role in procurement planning based on Bill of Quantities (BoQ), programe design and delivery including supervision and comprehensive reporting throughout the various stages of the project.
The post holder will have experience in procurement for Construction based on the BoQs, particularly tendering criteria and evaluation of contractor bids, skilled negotiator for construction contract specifics (lead time, quality) and a comprehensive understanding of construction contract clauses and how to apply them. There may be the requirement to visit and assess proposed construction sites in project areas and working with community-led construction projects.
During humanitarian emergencies, the post holder maybe required to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly as directed by the Senior Procurement Manager
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Planning, Coordination & Programme Support:
- Under the direction of the Senior Procurement Manager, undertake market research and analysis, run tenders and set up pre-qualified supplier lists and Framework Agreements (FWA)
- Manage suppliers professionally and proactively, providing feedback to improve performance and leading periodic review meetings ensuring Value for Money, quality and delivery
- Comprehensive understanding of the project management process of construction projects (reporting, invoicing, verification of payments, practical completion and final completion certification)
- Examine and process payment requests for construction works undertaken and according to contractual terms and conditions
- Supporting on appropriateness of the materials for the proposed sites, including security of materials and equipment
- Delegate to the Procurement Officer (Construction) routine and structured procurement duties and support and supervise to ensure processes are followed in a timely manner and according to the SCI policies and procedures
- Conduct Develop to Perform (D2P) with Procurement Officer and ensure clear work and development goals are established with timelines including regular feedback and support.
- Provide Construction procurement and planning advice and support to both the country office and the field offices in coordination with Construction Technical Teams
- Deliver management information reports summarizing key trends in performance of the construction procurement function against work plans
- Contribute to proposals and provide weekly updates and monthly reports outlining progress on ongoing projects as well as the utilization of materials, labour , and equipment being used.
- Establish a sound working relationship with the Head Infrastructure TA to fully utilize all resources and technical expertise
Technical & Operational:
- Establish a contract management database and keep updated records of progress of each construction project and inform Construction Team of status
- Work closely with requestors to ensure that contract values are within the available budget limit, and also keep record of payables (retentions) and receivables (advances) and inform stakeholders timely for release and/or recovery.
- Identify where necessary, and through acceptable and transparent ways, contractors/specialists/suppliers to carry out specialized pieces of work where project personnel do not have the capacity to do so Identify and organize procurement of locally available construction materials in close collaboration with the Field Office procurement team.
- Provide technical support for all partner agencies if required as part of the programme implementation
- Follow up on planning and implementation monitor the performance of construction companies for compliance with the contract agreements they entered into with SCI in collaboration with the Construction Manager
Realize Professional & Efficient Procurement:
- Manage procurement for the Ethiopia programme in line with SCI procurement policies, processes and quality standards through supervision of Procurement Requests, Requests for Quotation, Comparative Bid Analysis, Procurement Committees, Purchase Orders and Contract processes
- Ensure that Procurement Committees dealing with construction projects in all field offices are established where required and that they fully understand and undertake their responsibilities at all times ad according to the financial Scheme of Delegation (SoD).
- Attend when required the Procurement Committee meetings to provide expert advice on construction procurement.
- Advise and establish best practice for sourcing freight and transportation service providers, with support from Fleet Management
- Ensure all orders are processed according to Procurement Plans, logged into the Procurement Tracker, status updates are communicated to programmers, and that all relevant documentation is filed appropriately.
- Ensure construction supplier files are routinely updated on performance and the Procurement Committee for evaluation of relevant suppliers for future use in review of performance.
- While the majority of the work will be carried out in the Addis Ababa office, he/she will be required to make support visits to field offices
- S/he will be required to carry out inductions with new staff on aspects of their roles and areas of expertise
- S/he will be required to represent Save the Children in procurement related seminars or workshops related to their area of expertise
- S/he will be required to provide technical support to implementing partners and consortium based programming should this be a requirement
- As a member of the Operations/ Supply Chain team, S/he will work collaboratively with the team members to ensure good coordination, communication, planning and customer service to staff and the programs, including providing cover for, and support to others and undertaking any reasonable additional duties as delegated by the Procurement Manager.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for his/her self, takes responsibility for his or her own development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares her/his personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with her/his team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
- Holder of a Degree in either Construction/Infrastructure/Engineering or equivalent qualifications
- Holds recognized professional qualifications obtained through a company or organization that demonstrates suitability for the role coupled with extensive experience.
Strong preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate clear learning and training qualifications within the Construction/Infrastructure/Engineering sector either commercial or non-government
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- A minimum of 5 years’ construction/infrastructure/engineering experience within an INGO or related sector and experience in humanitarian procurement and or supply chain and the sector.
- Experience with associated procurement policies and procedures and conversant with national materials and national and local construction regulations
- Experience in all technical areas of procurement including tendering, supplier management, contracting and performance management
- Strong analytical skills and proven track record of implementing, managing and building capacity and capability.
- Ability to build effective working relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, both internally and externally
- Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organize a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse task and responsibilities
- Strong communication skills, written and spoken English and Amharic Desirable:
- Procurements management/ contracts management
- Procurements under major institutional donors (USAID, ECHO, DfID, UN Agencies)
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector. The duty station of the position holder will be in Addis Ababa This role is offered on the basis of national terms and conditions only.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
How to Apply
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at http://www.savethechildren.net/careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants who meet the MINIMUM requirements should apply using the below link: https://stcuk.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl