Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #136/2020
The Ethio-German programme on Qualifications and Employment Perspectives for Refugees and Host Communities in Ethiopia (QEP) has been commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) in December 2017. The programme is co-financed by the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad). The programme seeks to provide better vocational training and employment prospects for refugees and Ethiopians; it supports the Ethiopian government’s efforts to build a strong vocational training system, to create jobs and to build durable solutions for refugees in line with the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF). Implementation takes place in Addis Ababa, Somali Region, Benishangul-Gumuz, Gambella and Tigray.
QEP works on three output levels and seeks to (1) increase the quality of vocational training (TVET), (2) broaden the opportunities of TVET available to the target groups and (3) foster entrepreneurship and pathways into employment. QEP works together with the public TVET system and tries to extend the standards of the Ethiopian TVET system to refugees. The programme follows an integrated approach, where Ethiopians and refugees benefit equally from better TVET and employment opportunities. In 2020, a fourth action field will be added to the programme: to support the Ministry of Science and Higher Education (MoSHE) and other relevant stakeholders such as the Agency for Refugee and Returnee Affairs (ARRA) on the topic of inclusion of refugees in TVET.
The Programme Officer will be based in shire office, steers and ensures the satisfactory and timely implementation of activities related to the TVET Bureau, TVET College in Tigray and other government stakeholders in Tigray in the field of quality training and employment creation. The programme officer works with the programme management in Addis Ababa regarding the conduct of activities in Tigray Region.
Required Candidate: One
Responsibilities and duties
- Maintains good relations with the focal persons for QEP implementation at the TVET Bureau, at the TVET College Shire, Adwa and Mai-Tsebri and other relevant (government) offices to further develop the foundation for a successful project implementation
- Cooperates, regularly communicates and updates the programme management on progress
- Initiates, steers and monitors the implementation of activities in cooperation with the TVET College Shire, Adwa and Mai-Tsebri. This includes inter alia
- Steering of processes to improve college teaching facilities
- Organization of maintenance trainings at the college
- Contribution to procurement of material and equipment
- Steering installations of materials and equipment
- Organization of training for teachers
- Organization of workshops
- Facilitate employment promotion for TVET graduates /Host and Refugees/
- Contributes to the development of holistic entrepreneurship support measures in cooperation with the TVET college Shire and Mai-Tsebri
- Contributes to the development and implementation of new approaches, eg. in the field of employment creation in Shire, Adwa and Mai-Tsebri
- Contributes to the documentation of successful approaches to further document and develop generally applicable approaches of delivering TVET to displaced communities in remote contexts
- Collects relevant data from TVET Bureau, TVET College, and other government partners provides them in appropriate form (word, excel) to QEP office Addis Ababa
- Contributes ideas about success stories and major achievements in the field, shares them with QEP office Addis Ababa and connects respective PR staff with the “faces behind the story”
- Organizes regional conferences/events and facilitates national and international
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Master’s degree in social sciences (eg. educational science, political science, public management/policy, related fields) or bachelor degree qualifying as TVET teacher
- A minimum of 5 years relevant occupation experience in the necessary field
- Experience in organizing and steering complex processes that involve a variety of stakeholders and require a high degree of coordination
- Experience in project management, planning and smooth steering of activities
- Experiences in designing and conducting employment creation measures
- Strong local experience and networks in Tigray Region, including knowledge of relevant stakeholders in the field of TVET, entrepreneurship, and employment creation are a strong advantage
- Experience in the Tigray TVET system and ideally other regional government offices
- Excellent knowledge of mandates and roles of regional government bodies in the field of training and employment creation
- Experience in cooperating with regional government offices, agencies, and ideally international organizations
- Knowledge of the refugee and IDP situation in Tigray region and experience in designing and conducting projects involving refugees and/or IDPs
- Knowledge of relevant government and multilateral stakeholders concerned with refugees and IDPs; ideally knowledge of CRRF approach and implementation experience in Somali region
- Very good language skills in English (writing, speaking, listening); good knowledge of Tigrinya (writing, speaking, listening); good knowledge of Amharic (writing, speaking, listening) is an advantage
- Good skills in using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and Outlook)
- Flexibility and preparedness to perform a changing array of duties according to the needs of the programme
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure you mention the vacancy number and position title ‘Program Officer #136/2020’ in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorize applications with the vacancy numbers. Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.