Vacancy Ref No: HAI/Admin/ 003 /20
HelpAge International (www.helpage.org) is the secretariat to the HelpAge Global Network, which brings together a wide range of organisations and individuals working together to ensure that older people lead dignified, active, healthy and secure lives. HelpAge International’s secretariat is based in London, UK and closely works with its supporting network members- Age International, HelpAge Germany and HelpAge USA.
HelpAge has been operating in Ethiopia since 1992 and engaged on thematic sectors including social protection, health and wellbeing, emergency response and capacity building of local partners. Helpage is looking for a motivated programme Manager for its emergency response and resilience building effort in targeted woredas of Borena.
Job purpose: The Programme Manager will manage HelpAge International Mega office and programmes, providing leadership and management for quality delivery of programmatic activities, operations management, policy compliance, reporting and representation. The ideal candidate should have reasonable experience and a proven track-record of leading a technical team implementing emergency response and recovery programs in the context of drought and conflict triggered emergencies, as well as possessing excellent relationship, communications, planning, monitoring and teamwork skills.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY TASKS
- Responsible for planning, overseeing quality implementation, monitoring and reporting of HelpAge’s programme in Borena;
- Ensure program activities are implemented with-in the project period, scope and budget;
- Directly manage the technical officers on health and nutrition, water supply, sanitation and hygiene, and protection for timely implementation and quality of interventions including technical oversight & support to the implementation;
- Review/Assist in development of action plans and compare actual implementation to the planned activities;
- Contribute to quarterly, final and other donor reports as needed;
- Closely work with other humanitarian actors for the inclusion of older persons in their humanitarian response;
- Ensure the programmes conformity to core humanitarian standards and principles, regularly monitor project interventions and take corrective actions;
- Produce Monthly Management Report ( MMR) for consumption by SMT members.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of policies and procedures- Logistics, Finance and HR and ensure they are adhered to and implemented in a consistent manner
- Ensure timely completion of all logistics, financial and administrative matters in the field;
- Ensure Financial /Grants management and compliance standards and policies are consistently adhered;
- Oversee the proper spending of all grants in line with donor regulations;
- Directly manage the Field Operation budget;
- Maintain a weekly telephone call with line supervisor and consult with relevant Addis based staff on all matters of significance to the field program;
- Ensure strict local vehicle safety policies and that they are consistently implemented and followed.
Leadership and Management
- Provide leadership; promote professional working relationships, and encourage staff members to manage their specific interventions within goals and budget;
- Play a leadership role and foster a positive working environment and ensure mutual support within the team and contribute to teambuilding;
- Manage the performance of direct reports, build their capacity through coaching and exercising exemplary management and leadership practice ;
- Monitor the security situation and update and implement HelpAge security policies and procedures;
- Review and ensure compliance with security plans and guidelines in collaboration with Head of Operations and CD;
- Monitor the proper usage of IT and communication facilities.
Representation and Networking:
- Maintain excellent relationship with key stakeholders in the field location, including the local government
- Undertake regular meetings and communication with key staff of partner agencies on issues of common interest;
- Exercise the essence of transparent and supportive partnership with Government administration and NGOs in the area;
- Facilitate successful donor visits and internal monitoring visits, assessments;
- Strong representation of HelpAge in coordination platforms;
- Strong understanding of political, security and humanitarian issues in the area of operations and provide leadership support as they arise.
Internal: Humanitarian Program Manager (s), MEAL, Finance and Operation staff in Country Office
External: Liaison with government at Zone and Woreda level, and other humanitarian actors
Contract: One year (with possibility of extension)
Responsible To: Humanitarian Programme Manager- Addis
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to manage, motivate and inspire a diverse team
- At least 5-years of relevant experience in an international NGO
- Very good communication, negotiation and representational skills
- Past experience of developing collaborative partnerships with other organizations
- BA or MA in community development, Health & Nutrition, international development, social studies, sociology, economics, psychology or any other related field,
- A strong understanding of protection issues in conflict as well as protracted emergency setting
- A commitment to core humanitarian standards, principles, instruments, frameworks and protocols, and codes of conduct that govern humanitarian action
- Demonstrated commitment to upholding humanitarian standards and principles to vulnerable groups;
- Strong project and budget management experience, including use of planning and performance monitoring tools
- Reasonable experience of working as team leader with wide range of projects in the refugee context;
- Experience on gender analysis;
- Past experience working on projects funded by institutional donors
- Results Orientation towards own and team’s role in line with organisational priorities, decisive, passion and drive for high quality work
- Working with others, in a team environment, receiving and providing feedback, contributing to the team’s success, and managing conflicts if it occurs
- Self-Management, by demonstrating Integrity and credibility, leading by example, committed, knowledgeable and confident on the job functions
- Ability to engage, seek and provide clarity and deliver on issues that are not always clear
- Previous experience working on issue of older persons a strong advantage
- The ability to travel at very short notice period and for extended periods to difficult environments, often in very basic living conditions
How to Apply
First Download the summary format and fill out the required information carefully.
Indicate the vacancy reference No. and the post you are applying in subject line.
Then attach the following.
Current CV (not more than 4 pages) including three (3) professional referees
One page – cover letter highlighting job knowledge, qualification and experience.
Female meeting the minimum qualification and experience are encouraged to apply.
NB: Non-compliance to the above procedures will lead to instant rejection.
We are interested in how your skills, knowledge and experience indicate your ability to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the position.
Interested applicants who meet the minimum requirements are required to submit their non-returnable application together with the summary format by email address: firstname.lastname@example.org