To take overall responsibility to manage & oversee the implementation of health and nutrition related activities for the on-going emergency response in Tigray Region. This include but not limited to activities around the community management of acute malnutrition (CMAM), maternal infant and young child nutrition (MIYCN) blanket supplementary feeding programs (BSFP), Mobile Health and Nutrition Teams (MHNTs), support to the health systems and working with the Woreda Health Office (WOHO) among other areas.
The Program manager will also support other activities outside health and nutrition but that are key to improve the overall health, nutrition and wellbeing of targeted beneficiaries more so in relation to nutrition sensitive intervention across other sectors for example, food security and livelihood, WaSH, shelter and provision of essential household items among other key sectors. The program manager will oversee several grants and will be expected to oversee all aspect of the project cycle including budget management ensuring quality and adherence to standards and which intended to bring positive changes in the lives of target population. The Programme Manager will promote collaboration and coordination with Regional, Zonal and Woreda sector offices and other partners operating in the operational areas. He/She will participate and represent Concern Worldwide in various coordination fora; Nutrition, Health, Shelter, Protection and other relevant clusters established in the response in liaison with the Emergency Coordinator and the Area Coordinator.
Main duties & Responsibilities:
Program Planning and Implementation
- Provide management in the form of oversight, planning, prioritization, coordination, coaching and supervision to the Region & Woreda based health & nutrition team.
- Liase with the Woreda Health Office (WoHO) to prioritise locations and develop plans to run and supervise the MHNTs interventions
- Ensure that the health & nutrition programme is implemented to a high quality standard and is in line with project plans
- Build and strengthen the capacity of Concern field staff through training, monitoring and follow up
- Develop annual, monthly and weekly work plans and ensure their implementation so that project deliverables are implemented according to the approved donor proposals
- Participate in the review of the planned activity and propose /plan new appropriate activity in Health and Nutrition sector based on the actual problems of the community;
- Prepare detailed implementation plan and modality /guideline for Health and Nutrition related activities based on the main document and ensure its implementation with standard quality as per the agreed time table.
- Identify obstacles/challenges encountered and work with the project team to find and implement solutions
- Review expenditure and carry out budget management responsibilities
- Contribute to the design and roll out of new health and nutrition projects within Tigray Region with regards to proposal developments, needs assessment and preparation of budgets.
Capacity Building and Technical supervision
- Plan, organize and facilitate nutrition and health related trainings to Project staff, health centre /health post staff, MHNTs across different themes including CMAM, CMAMI, MIYCN, ICCM, PSEA among others in liaison with the RHB and Addis technical teams.
- Adhere to existing protocols/ checklists and develop new templates if required in order for project staff to conduct on-the-Job Supervision and quality control supervision of CMAM (OTP, TSFP and Inpatient facilities), BSFP, IMNCI, ICCM, MIYCN etc.
- Provide technical support and advice to teams and ensure quality of the programmes
- Provide guidance to staff on any new program initiatives and assist them in the roll-out of new initiatives or corrective actions.
- Work with the Concern team including IYCF/ BCC, M&E & HSS specialists, project & programme coordinator and nutrition lead in analysis of nutrition data, baseline and end line health facility assessments and develop, report and provide feedback for the team
- Conduct assessment and identify health and nutrition related problems of the target community/Woreda and develop appropriate and workable activity plan and implement accordingly,
- Conduct capacity building training for the staff under his/her supervision on various Health and Nutrition related topics based on need assessment to ensure quality implementation;
- Conduct field visit and supportive supervision with key stakeholders and develop actionable plan based on the findings;
- Build, in collaboration with concerned units, the capacity of key stakeholders so as to implement the program/project effectively and efficiently;
Prepare and submit periodic high quality written progress reports on Health and Nutrition sector (weekly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, annually and donor reports) Concern, external stakeholders and donors;
Collect and document all progress in the implementation of activities (at activity, output and impact level) and maintain project data, record and documents;
Collect and document program data using Data base on time and prepare and share report for all concerned; Align the database to the various running grants and program indicators
Conduct case studies and share findings as applicable.
Review and provide feedback to draft reports produced by subordinates.
Documenting feedback from all meetings and disseminating to the Regional team and Addis technical team as applicable.
Supporting any survey undertaken by the project.
- Prepare detailed budget plan and implement the approved budget in line with Concern Finance policies and procedures
- Responsible to control the budget across different grants and ensure that activities are implemented according to quality required and agreed plans.
- Prepares detailed Health and Nutrition sector budget plan and implement in line with Concern finance policies /producers on time;
- Responsible for ensuring proper, efficient and timely utilization of allocated program/project budget, including purchasing of materials;
- Participate and give appropriate input for Health and Nutrition Sector in Budget Revision time;
- Prepare a project procurement plan and ensure its timely implementation
- Share monthly cash forecast and funds request with the Finance team in accordance to the set timelines.
- Directly manage health & nutrition teams at Woreda level;
- Set performance objectives for direct reports using the Concern PDR system and carry out performance development reviews
- Identify ways of increasing individual staff effectiveness and providing regular feedback on performance.
- Provide technical and managerial support to coach field staffs in order to build their capacity to perform their assigned roles and responsibilities
- Address any HR issues in a timely and appropriate manner
- Work closely with good team sprit with other staff;
Networking and Integration
- Establish strong linkage and collaboration with Regional, Zonal and Woreda Health Office in the implementation of health and Nutrition activities with good working relationships, collaboration and clear communication.
- Create appropriate linkage; working procedures and information sharing with other program staff and external stakeholders.
- Actively Attend external meetings to represent Concern and provide information on the nutrition and health programme
Monitoring & Evaluation (M & E)
- Develop participatory program/project monitoring plan in collaboration with MEAL team; and internalize and implement the action plan accordingly
- Facilitate and participate planned monitoring sessions in the implementation of Health /Nutrition Sector
- Conduct and document annual learning reviews;
- Work with the MEAL team to update and share the program database on a timely basis.
- Design and create appropriate methods/ways and implement to mainstream all cross cutting issues like Accountability, gender, inequality, HIV/AIDS, DRR and controlling the spread of COVID-19 in line with Concern Worldwide – Ethiopia guideline.
- Ensure that all cross cutting issues like accountability, gender, inequality, HIV/AIDS, DRR, are mainstreamed in the implementation of Health and Nutrition activity; Aware and provide appropriate technical support to project and government in mainstreaming of all cross cutting issues in the implementation of FIM activity.
- Ensure that programme/project staffs have a strong understanding of gender mainstreaming and that gender mainstreaming tools are effectively implemented across all programmes/projects
- Coordinate with the Gender Equality Coordinator in planning, allocating and implementing a programme budget for gender mainstreaming
- Ensure that programmes have a thorough gender mainstreaming design and plan from the conceptualization stage
- Ensure that gender mainstreaming is effectively implemented and monitored throughout the project cycle management process.
- Ensure that gender sensitive indicators and M & E plans are in place and that they are effectively monitored
- Ensure quality reporting on gender mainstreaming in all programme reports
Concern is committed to responding to emergencies efficiently and effectively in order to help affected people meet their basic needs, alleviate suffering and maintain their dignity. To this end, when emergencies strike and the Ethiopia Programme is to respond, all staff are required to actively participate in the response, regardless of location and contribute to the efforts aimed at achieving the humanitarian objective of the organization
- Degree in Public Health or Nutrition. Msc degree in Public Health or Nutrition is an added advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with a strong background in implementing health and nutrition programs; CMAM, MIYCN
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Ability and willingness to frequently travel and stay at the field
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization developing effective working relationships to deliver outstanding results for target beneficiaries.
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach staff and working with Project stakeholders
- Good communication and report writing skills
- Good negotiation skill with government and other agencies
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written English.
- Good interpersonal skills and team player with sensitivity to cultural diversity
- Ability to work under pressure
What we offer
- A competitive salary and benefit package
- Excellent medical benefits (100% cover including dependents)
- 20 days annual leave
- 26 weeks (paid) maternity leave, 18 weeks (unpaid) parental leave
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send non-returnable C.V., application letter outlining how their experience and education fit with this vacancy via:
- ethiojobs.net or in person at Mekelle Concern Worldwide Offices
- Please note that no need to submit your supporting documents at this stage
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted
Safeguarding at Concern: Code of Conduct and its Associated Policies
Concern has an organisational Code of Conduct (CCoC) with three Associated Policies; the Programme Participant Protection Policy (P4), the Child Safeguarding Policy and the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Policy. These have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants from exploitation, and to clarify the responsibilities of Concern staff, consultants, visitors to the programme and partner organisation, and the standards of behaviour expected of them. In this context, staff have a responsibility to the organisation to strive for, and maintain, the highest standards in the day-to-day conduct in their workplace in accordance with Concern’s core values and mission. Any candidate offered a job with Concern Worldwide will be expected to sign the Concern Staff Code of Conduct and Associated Policies as an appendix to their contract of employment. By signing the Concern Code of Conduct, candidates acknowledge that they have understood the content of both the Concern Code of Conduct and the Associated Policies and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these policies. Additionally, Concern is committed to the safeguarding and protection of vulnerable adults and children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work or volunteer with vulnerable adults and children are recruited by us for such roles. Subsequently, working or volunteering with Concern is subject to a range of vetting checks, including criminal background checking.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.