The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governanceÂ—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The USAID-funded Health Financing Improvement Program seeks to strengthen the health financing functions and systems to support universal health coverage of quality primary health care (PHC) services for Ethiopian citizens. Project objectives include increasing domestic resource mobilization for enhanced provision of quality PHC services, streamlining pooling of risk-sharing/insurance mechanisms for wider access to PHC services with reduced financial barriers, facilitating strategic purchasing of health services from public and private health providers, and improving governance, management and evidence-generation for health financing reforms and health facilities.
Based in the project’s Afar, Dire Dawa, Harari, and Somali regional office in Dire Dawa, and under the supervision of the Finance Officer in the same regional office, the Program Assistant is responsible for providing administrative and logistical support to the regional team.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintain project files, including personnel files, files of project deliverables, and other reports and documents
- Manage and document correspondence with the project’s central office, Regional Health Bureaus, and other partners and stakeholders
- Manage telephone operations and communications
- Assist with monitoring the proper reporting of labor time and the timely submission of timesheets
- Assist in the managing local procurements for office supplies and other requirements
- Purchase, store and distribute office supplies
- Assist in timely settlement of office bills
- Handle petty cash
- Tags climate change data processing disease prevention donor experience finance officer food security health financing health promotion health services health systems latin america logistics middle east office administration primary health care procurement resource mobilization universal health coverage
- Provide support to planning and other technical exercises by taking notes at brainstorming sessions or meetings
- Provide production support for project materials, presentations, and reports
- Make logistical arrangements for project events and field activities, including the support for project staff or other visitors coming from outside the region
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- High School Diploma (minimum). Business Institute Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Administration, Management, or other relevant field is desirable
- 3 years of relevant professional experience in office administration. Experience in operations and/or logistics is a plus
- USAID or other international donor experience is highly desirable
- Experience in editing and formatting technical documents
- Strong knowledge and experience with Windows, Word, and Excel and other data processing and graphical presentation software
- Solid inter-personal communication and organization skills
- Fluency in Amharic and English language proficiency is required
- High school (AS or BA desired) plus 3+ years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.