The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) wants to recruit employees in the following vacant positions the details of which are mentioned bellow.
About the Ethiopian Red Cross Society
The Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) was established in 1935 and is one of the oldest and largest humanitarian organizations in Ethiopia. ERCS provides services to communities affected by natural and manmade disasters through the provision of emergency responses, ambulance and first aid, family reunification, essential drugs, water and sanitation, and other humanitarian services. ERCS also runs disaster risk reduction programs with the aim of creating resilience households and communities. Currently the ERCS has a structure consisting of 11 Regional Offices, 33 Zonal Branches and 131 District/Woreda Branches, 599 Woreda Red Cross Committee and 5871 Kebele Red Cross committees.
Reporting to: – Head, Disaster preparedness and Response Department
Terms of employment: Contract for one Year
Specific duties and responsibilities
Scope of Work:
ERCS is looking for one experienced, dynamic individual for the role of USAID funded Shelter and WASH project to be based in Addis Ababa. The Project Coordinator is responsible for ensuring quality, coordinated, implementation of the shelter and WASH project in Amhara and Tigray regions of three zones, with an emphasis on timeliness and best use of resources and building community capacity on community based shelter construction and key WASH activities. The Coordinators’ responsibilities also include liaison with diverse stakeholders including technical units, government partners, and international and local NGOs. This position reports to the DPR department Head at HQ.
The Coordinators will closely work with and technically report to the DPRD at HQ level to get an approval and ensure alignment and minimum standards in the planning and implementation of the project. The project coordinator at the HQ level also provides technical support to the regional coordinator in consultation with the department and some key program staff.
- Overall responsible for the proper implementation of the shelter and WASH project in central and west Gonder zones and Western zone of Tigray region.
- Plan, implement, monitor and report for the smooth and effective implementation of the project.
- Ensure proper adherence to the objectives and all documentation is maintained appropriately for each phase.
- Assess project risks and issues timely and provide solutions where applicable.
- Closely follow and comply with the minimum requirements, deadlines, forms of USAID/OFDA and actions required for successfully implementation
- Ensure stakeholder views, complaints are well collected, analysed and acted up on timely in consultation with the emergency response coordinator and the department head.
- Adhere to the fundamental principles of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement
- Prepare a monthly and weekly implementation plan, project schedules, budgets and expenditures and get the approval of the project coordinator.
- Continuously assess the needs of the regional branch and the community from shelter and WASH point of view and suggest how to best align and address with this project activities.
- Ensure that the implementing branches and the branch level project coordinator fully understood the activities and are in equal pace with the plan of action at the national level.
- Create a project management calendar for fulfilling each goal and objective.
Implementation and monitoring
- Carry out activities implementation as per the approved plan and budget.
- Ensure all expenses are done as per the procedure of OFDA and ERCS regulation and ensure all the supporting documents are established with high financial integrity.
- Organizing, attending and participating in stakeholder meetings.
- Ensure procurements and distributions are done as per the procedure and all supporting documents are in place.
- Ensure all deviations are well justified and get the approval of the department head before implementation.
- Undertaking project tasks as required.
- Responsible for preparing and submitting periodic narrative and financial reports on quarterly basis based on the donor’s format and with all the supporting documents to the department for a review and then submit a revised version before the deadlines-
- Regularly check and follow up all the financial documents are timely sent to ERCS HQ finance.
- Make weekly and monthly implementation report to the department.
- Networking, capacity assessment and documentation
- Undertake capacity assessment and baselines.
- Documenting and following up on important actions and decisions from meetings.
- Establish, participate and record all project team meetings for each activity and initiative undertaken by branch.
- Maintain and ensure stakeholders participation in all phases of the project.
- Ensure proper documentation of the project implementation process and achievements.
- MA/BA Degree in relevant field from a recognized university with at least 8/10 years of related work experience and 3/5 years in senior position(s). The relevant fields are rural development, disaster risk management, sociology, public health, Project Planning and Management/ Development Studies/ Environmental Science/ Social work/ Social Anthropology/ Regional and local development, construction engineering etc.
- Good experience in capacity building of civil society organizations in the areas of shelter and WASH.
- Strong understanding of the transitional shelter and humanitarian WASH situations in Ethiopia and key procedures to operate in such context such as the Sphere Standards, the core humanitarian standards, the good enough guide etc.
- Report Writing skill and house construction
- Good skills in context scanning and strategic thinking.
- Exceptional coordination and inter-personal skills.
- Very good written and spoken English Skill.
- Previous experience with USAID/OFDA project is an asset.
- Proficient in MS Office, MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint, (Kobo skill is an asset)
- Ability to independently organize work and prioritize tasks
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual
- A good team player.
How to Apply
We invite candidates meeting the required qualifications to fill out the employment application form from the official website of the Ethiopian Red Cross in vacancy menu http://www.redcrosseth.org/get-involved/vacancy and email to email@example.com before the closing date of this announcement on Nov 27,2020.
Qualified women are strongly recommended to apply!
Please note that we ONLY consider those who filled in the application form and send us back. We regret to inform that we do not accept CV at this stage.