ETMCO has embarked on a project for humanitarian assistance in water supply and sanitation for Internally Displaced People (IDPs) in Qoloji camp with a supplementary budget from the Japanese government. The goal of the project is to improve the health status of IDPs in Qoloji IDP Camp located 65 km south of Jigjiga in Ethiopian Somali Regional State amid the COVID-19 pandemic with the overall objective of access to water supply and sanitation facilities.
Purpose of Assignment
The Project Management Support – Senior Assistant (Community Mobilizer) will be a key member for the project under the guidance of the Project Manager, and direct supervision of the Administrative Associate. S/he will be tasked to assist in the implementation of the various community led initiatives and plans and help ensure that outputs/deliverables as spelled-out in their plans are delivered on time and contribute to the achievement of outcomes, and prepare reports/feedback for management’s actions and decisions.
The job holder will report to the Administrative Associate during the assignment.
The Project Management Support – Senior Assistant (Community Mobilizer) will undertake the following specific tasks:
● Provide assistance in designing the community awareness strategy and materials to be used for the Qoloji IDP Community.
● Provide assistance in terms of coordination with the IDP appropriate Community representatives and other relevant stakeholder to coordinate project activities and get their support and participation;
● Support the Operation Associate in mapping and coordination of stakeholders working in WASH sector within Qoloji IDP Community
● Assist in coordination of awareness raising activities organized within Qoloji IDP camp
● Provide support in monitoring and follow-up the implementation of WASH related community led initiatives and compliance with the provisions and tasks and responsibilities under the project.
● Provide assistance in implementation of all aspects of the community awareness operations in the project area.
● Assist the project team for the identification of beneficiaries.
● Assist in the implementation of the awareness and information activities through close coordination with community liaison teams.
● Notify the Operations Associate and the Project Manager about anticipated delays or any project related community concerns.
● Provide awareness raising activities to Qoloji IDP Community based on the identified strategy and time
● Any other duties requested by the PM and Operations Associate.
- Secondary high school completion certificate is required.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in community mobilization, or community awareness activities related field is required. A Bachelor’s Degree and one year of relevant experience may substitute the required years of experience.
- Experience in working with local authorities and local communities is an asset.
- Experience working with IDP community is an asset.
- Working level of English and Somali language is required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Contract type: LICA
- Contract level: LICA-5
- Contract duration Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizatio
nal requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should use the below link for applying.