Title: Protection Officer-Legal
Reports to: Program Manager
Start of Contract & Duration: Three Months
Posting date: January 2,2020
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the Legal Protection Coordinator, the Protection Officer will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the DRC’s current and future protection activities related to refugees and host communities in Shire field area. The Protection Officer will conduct protection monitoring activities, including observation, facilitation of focus group discussions and leading key informant interviews, will develop and facilitate trainings related to protection issues, will collaborate with relevant local authorities and duty-bearers to improve protection-related assistance and will support in the design and implementation of protection mainstreaming initiatives.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Design, plan, implement and monitor protection activities, including awareness raising campaigns for refugees and host communities in Shire area.
- Implement, in consultation with the Legal Protection Coordinator, the access to justice activities of the RDPP project
- Support legal aid providers in expanding their services to refugee and host communities.
- Supervise the access to justice referral mechanisms for refugees and refugee host communities in Shire field area.
- Ensure that access to justice activities in the Shire area are implemented as per the SOPs and guidelines.
- Plan and implement forums to enhance informal conflict resolution mechanisms in the refugee and host communities.
- Collaborate with other humanitarian agencies and government stakeholders to promote and enhance the protective environment for refugees.
- Support the Shire Area Manager in the development of project, budget and procurement plans.
- Monitor protection trends and needs in DRC’s areas of intervention and recommend activities and responses for DRC and other agencies.
- Assist in the management of and provide technical guidance to the protection assistants in Shire field area.
- Manage the activities of the incentive workers in the refugee camps.
- Assist in developing and conducting assessments, mid-term and end of project reports and evaluations.
- Ensure DRC’s accountability commitments are mainstreamed into all protection activities.
- Support the Shire Area Manager in the development of daily, weekly and monthly reports.
- Ensure proper documentation of all project activities including means of verification, assessments and case studies.
- Contribute to the development of project proposal and concept notes.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in an entry to mid-level position with experience in the field of humanitarian response and refugee protection working for an international NGO, UN agency or relevant ministry or local authority.
- Technical understanding of protection concepts, prevention and response strategies, including experience with operationalizing global best practices and international standards for implementing protection programming in humanitarian contexts.
- Proven record of designing and facilitating trainings and workshops on protection-related topics.
- Hands-on experience with protection case management and supporting community-based protection structures.
- Experience working with displaced or conflict affected populations Including experience on community mobilization and community entry activities
- Strong planning, organizational and problem-solving skills with the ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Integrity, strong work ethic, and ability to consistently meet deadlines under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal skills and commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Bachelor degree in law, social work, social sciences, international development, or other relevant field from a recognized institution
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge of local language is an added value
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating:Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity:Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than January 15,2020.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!