Internal/External vacancy announcement
Médecins Sans Frontières (also known as Doctors without Borders or MSF) is a private, non-profit, international humanitarian medical organization that intervenes in emergencies and crisis situations to relieve human suffering resulting from unmet medical needs. MSF observes strict neutrality with respect to politics and provides its assistance without discriminating on the basis of race, religion, ideology, or political affiliation. MSF’s members are required to respect humanitarian principles and principles of medical ethics at all times.
MSF Holland is looking for: Radio Operator
· Number of Position: one
· Place of work: Addis Ababa
· Terms of employment: 1 month
· Remuneration and Benefits:
- Starting gross salary/month: 7,236.00 ETB
- Medical Coverage : as per organizational coverage
- Transportation allowance: 1,800 ETB
· Date of application: December 03 to December 12, 2019
Operating the VHF and HF radios, in accordance with the MSF security protocols and rules, in order to ensure quality and confidential radio communications for the operational needs of the mission/projects.
• Operating the HF and VHF radios, avoiding using any sensitive or security related information and fol-lowing the MSF security rules. Ensures radio frequencies’ (HF and VHF) quality and transmission capac-ity. Installs and programs frequencies in all type of radios when necessary
• Ensuring that messages are well copied/passed to all people concerned and records the messages on the radio log book. Responding to radio contacts from other approved organizations and forwarding it on the information via this channel.
• Making radio contacts with reference bases (capital and/or field) according to communication rules / schedules and forwards all information concerning the security of the teams to the Project/Capital Co-ordinator.
• Monitoring and registering any movement, of people, vehicles, helicopters, airplanes and cargo, (depar-ture, arrival, number of passengers, route taken, standard contact points) and informs line manager of any delays.
• Supervising and monitoring the VHF radio allocation book (handsets) and registering the loan of hand-sets to all staff, following it up on a regular basis.
• Installing, operating and performing preventive maintenance checks on assigned equipment, checking that the equipment is working properly and immediately informing the line manager of any dam-age/loss/theft. Maintaining the equipment, communications room and premises in clean and tidy condi-tions. Maintaining and supervising HF VHF batteries status in good maintenance conditions.
• Providing basic radio training when necessary to MSF staff
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
•Tracks vehicle movements through GPS tracking system from base and reports to line manager for any abnormality
•Responsible for movement follow up; registration of radio communication in the radio logbook and to maintain a VHF allocation log book
•Updates movement follow up board and ensures requests are made ahead of time/ as per prior schedule
Communication and use of radios
•Operate the HF and VHF radios, avoiding using any sensitive or security related information and following the MSF security rules.
• Ensure that messages are well copied/passed to all people concerned.
• Record the messages on the radio logbook.
• Respond radio contacts from other approved organisations and forward on the information via this channel.
• Make radio contacts with reference bases (capital and/or field) according to communication rules / schedules (only professional message, English only, no sensitive information …).
• Forward all information concerning the security of the teams to the Project/Capital Coordinator.
• Monitor and register any movement, of people, vehicles, and cargo, (departure, arrival, number of passengers, route taken, standard contact points) and inform line manager of delays or problem occurring in the movements.
• Ensure radio frequencies (HF and VHF) quality and transmission capacity. Install and program frequencies in all type of radios when necessary.
• Updating and follow up of communication equipment inventory
• Make sure all radio equipment are in working condition and report to the tech-log for damages and missing communication equipment.
Maintenance and equipment
• Check that the equipment is working properly and immediately inform the line manager of any damage/loss/theft.
• Supervise, register and monitor the VHF radio allocation book (handsets).
• Maintain in clean and tidy conditions the equipment, communications room and premises.
• Install, operate and perform preventive maintenance checks on assigned equipment.
• Maintain and Supervise HF & VHF batteries status in good maintenance conditions.
• Provide basic radio training when necessary to MSF staff
Monitor and follow-up the personal call logbook and assure reimbursement and use according to the policy in place.
Literacy. Desirable secondary education
Desirable work experience as radio operator in related jobs
Essential, mission working language and local language(s)
Essential basic knowledge on mathematics, mechanical, electronic principles
· Results and Quality Orientation L1
· Teamwork and Cooperation L1
· Behavioural Flexibility L1
· Commitment to MSF Principles L1
· Stress Management L2
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their non-returnable CV and application including photocopies of all supporting documents to the address given below:
HR & Administration Department, at MSF Holland office, Addis Ababa Yeka sub-city, woreda 8, House no.9999/1 (in opposite to Misrak Polytechnic college nearby Addis Technical college) or apply through www.ethiojobs.net
Please Note that we only contact short-listed candidates.