Regional Program Assistant for Mekelle, Bahir Dar and Hawassa)
Summary Scope of Work:
The Program Assistant provides support for routine programmatic, administrative and logistical activities related to implementation of projects within the Jhpiego Ethiopia office. S/he supports the Regional team to ensure appropriate planning and tracking of project activities.
- Position Reports To: Regional Program Manager having functional relationship with HWIP Program Officer
- Positions Supervised: None
All staff members of Jhpiego, regardless of the level of their responsibilities are expected to
- model the mission and values stated above
- participate in the business development process
- contribute to the knowledge sharing and transfer process
- make responsible decisions that result in time and cost containment and clear accountability
Support Program Planning and Implementation
- Provide day-to-day support for planning, coordination and implementation of meetings, workshops, trainings, and other related program activities.
- Draft relevant correspondence related to program implementation, including participant invitation letters, responses to requests from the RHB, etc. Provide follow-up as appropriate for all correspondence, including confirming attendance of invited participants.
- Actively participate in the business development process by assisting in budgeting, preparing payment vouchers and documentation of financial documents in the region
- Serve as the key point person for coordination with the events management company implementing project trainings and events.
- Collaborate with the program officer (PO) in country office and assist technical staff in planning and budgeting
- Assist the program manager and Regional advisors in updating project activity plans, looking ahead at upcoming activities and following up to ensure activities are implemented within schedule.
- Participate in weekly regional program team meetings to discuss on the progress of program implementation and take part in program staff meetings organized by the PO as needed
- Follow progress using an activity checklist, ensure complete preparation is done and relevant stakeholders are involved and activities are implemented smoothly according to the plan.
- Facilitate the timely ordering and procurement of training materials, stationery, equipment and supplies required to support program activities.
- Liaise closely with regional finance team to facilitate procurement and financial transaction
- Collect consultant contracts and follow up as needed to ensure the timely payment for their work, including collecting all required documentation from them such as reports, invoices, etc.
- Coordinate logistics and planning arrangements in support of program activities; this includes but not limited to: request printing of necessary materials, venue/loading arrangement and bookings, vehicle request, etc.
- Provide on-site assistance at trainings, workshops and meetings, including registering attendees, providing per diem payments, settle hotel bills and other related payments and arranging all required logistics.
- Print and follow up the signing of the certificates by relevant signatories as per organizational standards.
- Facilitate regional team field travels, lodging and etc,
- Any other tasks requested by the Program Manager.
Program Documentation, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Assist in drafting workshop preceding and event reports
- Check completeness of the registration and attendance sheets and assist trainers to ensure that training and participant information forms is correctly filled at all trainings conducted by the Team and that these forms are submitted to Jhpiego M&E Unit timely.
- Follow event coordinators to submit TIMS’ data and ensure appropriate recording to ensure correct data is documented by the M&E Unit
- Maintain a hard and electronic copy of all training materials and documents developed by various team in the region.
- Provide input for quarterly, semi-annual and annual program reports developed in the region.
- Assist the finance officer to collect trip and training reports from all local and international activities and trips in the team, file them as appropriate and upon instruction deliver to the necessary funding bodies and partners.
Filing and other tasks
- Receive, screen, log and route all program related correspondence and maintain an effective follow up system.
- Draft correspondence and reports as assigned.
- Assist in the budget preparation process
- Maintain files as directed by the PO and regional Program manager
- Maintain up-to date lists of names and addresses of partner organizations, officials of the Regional government and relevant others.
- Keep regional program manager fully informed about the day-to-day activities and task implementation problems as they arise.
- BA degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Public Health, Social Sciences or any other related field
- Four to five years’ experience in program support or comparable position
- Computer proficiency in MS Applications
- Language Requirement: (Fluent) Speaking/Reading English and Amharic is required. Knowledge of the local area language is mandatory.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work in a multi-disciplinary team setup;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with relevant partners
- Demonstrable experience in event management
- Comfortable with a team approach to programming and the ability to manage several major activities simultaneously
- Background in and understanding of international development work
- Ability to work proactively, organize and manage own work and assist others to do the same
- Highly motivated and confident and ability to make decisions within bounds of the position
How to Apply
Applicant are expected to STRICTLY follow the below listed application procedures:
- Only qualified and interested applicants can submit application letter and well written curriculum vitae saved in one complied PDF format.
- Applicants are required to state their current basic salary in their application letter.
- Applicants must make sure their application document is saved by their full name in PDF format.
- Applicants must specify the location applied for if the vacancy is for more than one location.
- CREDENTIALS OR WORK CERTIFICATES MUST NOT BE SUBMITTED.
- The job position being applied for must be explicitly stated in the application letter.
- Applicants must use this E-mail HREthiopia@jhpiego.org to submit applications and make sure to state the job position title applying for in the subject line.
- Applications not fulfilling the requirements stated above will automatically be rejected.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package. The winning candidate is expected to start within short period after finalization of the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is October 27, 2020.