Project background and scope of work
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is a Swiss-based foundation launched at the UN in 2002 to tackle the human suffering caused by malnutrition. Working with both governments and businesses, we aim to transform food systems so that they deliver more nutritious food for all people.
At GAIN, we believe that everyone in the world should have access to nutritious and safe food. We work to understand and deliver specific solutions to the daily challenge of food insecurity faced by poor people. By understanding that there is no “one-size-fits-all” model, we develop alliances and build tailored programmes, using a variety of flexible models and approaches.
We build alliances between governments, local and global businesses, and civil society to deliver sustainable improvements at scale. We are part of a global network of partners working together to create sustainable solutions to malnutrition. Through alliances, we provide technical, financial and policy support to key participants in the food system. We use specific learning, evidence of impact, and results of projects and programmes to shape and influence the actions of others.
One of our programs in Ethiopia is supporting food fortification. Food fortification is one of the key strategies endorsed by the Government of Ethiopia to reduce micronutrient deficiencies. GAIN is working with Government, private sectors and non-government organizations on wheat and oil fortification.
As part of this fortification program, premix supply system establishment to facilitate easy access to producers is one of the ongoing initiative. The major objective of premix market analysis and business modelling is to inform strategy for the premix supply system establishment.
- The timeline for completion of all aspects of the Scope of Work and submission of deliverables is by 30 November 2020.
Scope of work and deliverables
Scope of the work
The successful applicant shall report to GAIN, under an agreed work plan, to undertake tasks that will include, the following:
- Market/options analysis on premix supply for wheat and edible oil and other fortified products including current premix need and projections of anticipated needs/ Trend analysis
- Documenting Imported process and associated costs
- Proposed business model for premix importing and distribution
- Design innovative financing options and arrangement for premix supplies
- Enabling environment/government incentives required to aid running of premix supply/
- Asses the capacity of selected business to engage in the premix sourcing and distribution system.
- Proposal should contain outline of the study/key elements of the study including Metrology of the study. Develop a detailed study protocol (including detailed methodology and justification, sampling plan (where applicable), and data analysis plan) and data collection tools for review and approval by GAIN. Conduct review of available literature and secondary data sources as appropriate
The successful applicant is expected to deliver the followings:
- For any primary data collected, provide GAIN with raw and clean datasets
- Comprehensive report with recommended strategy. Reports will comprise an overall word document, PowerPoint presentation.
- Attend and participate in consultation and/or dissemination workshops with key stakeholders
- Revise and finalize report based on inputs from GAIN.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE OF CONSULTANT
The Candidate consultant /consulting firm should at least meet the following:
- MA degree in Business or relevant field of study.
- Extensive experience in conducting market analysis and business plan development
- Knowledge of fortification
- Knowledge of financial system
- Track record in similar studies
How to Apply
Interested consultants should submit a proposal by sending the following:
An electronic copy of the proposal both technical and financial separately containing the documents preferably in MS Word and PDF along with all the required information should reach GAIN at the address mentioned below:
Deadline Before October 25,2020 Central European Time on 5:30 pm CET.
Interested applicants can download the detail Terms Of Reference (TOR) here