Research Assistant for Situational Analysis in Refugee Camps
Location: Afar, Tigray, Gambela, Somali, Oromiya, Benshangul Gumuz, Ethiopia
Salary: To be negotiated
Contract type: Consultant Agreement
Contract length: three months
Negotiable Hours: 35 hours per week
Application Closing Date: 12 Jan 2020
Interview date: To be confirmed
Start date: 01/02/2020
VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. Our extraordinary volunteers live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities. Sharing their unique skills and experience to generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
The research assistant will involve in collecting qualitative and quantitative data from refugee camps through participating in interview, focus group discussion, anecdotal case stories and gathering additional information from the assigned camps managements and refugee teachers, education practitioners in area and UN and development partners operating in the area. The research assistant will also involve in supporting the researchers during data summarization and transcription.
Skills, qualifications and experience
Competencies and Behaviour At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
- Ability to be open minded and respectful
- Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
- Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
- Tags refugee camps social sciences
- Ability to seek and share knowledge The ideal applicant has
- proven track record in facilitating refugee level research, assessment and evaluation in and experience in Ethiopia
- BA degree in Economics, Sociology, Education, Psychology, Pedagogy and English Language and related social sciences fields with a research experience and background
- Fluency in English language and proven experience in managing refugee research team is mandatory. Language skill in Arabic, Somali and Tigregna will be an added advantage
- proven experience in International/National NGOs document review, research proposal development and planning experience at the fragile spaces of the country
- Experience in facilitating field level researches, tool development, interview and focus group management in refugee camps and IDPs Equal Opportunities VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Make an application
VSO has zero tolerance of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people. We expect all our employees/volunteers to ensure we protect children, young people and vulnerable adults from harm and abide by our safeguarding policy (PDF).
Know someone who would be amazing at this role?
If you know the perfect person for this opportunity, tell them about it here.
Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share by email