icipe is a pan-African and non-profit Centre of Excellence for research and development and capacity building in insect science and its applications. Its mission is to help alleviate poverty, ensure food and nutritional security and improve the overall health status of peoples of the tropics by developing and extending management tools and strategies for harmful and useful arthropods, while preserving the natural resource base through research and capacity building. Since its establishment in 1970, icipe has become a significant contributor to science and innovation required to meet the health and food security challenges of sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). The Centre has achieved this status by developing alternative and environmentally friendly pest and vector management technologies and products that are effective, selective, non-polluting, non-resistance inducing, and are affordable to resource-limited rural and urban communities. icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with offices in Ethiopia and Uganda, a major station on the shores of Lake Victoria, and several other field stations in Kenya. Employing close to 500 international and national staff, icipe also has approximately 150 graduate students who contribute to its research portfolio annually. The Centre currently has operations in more than 40 African countries, and thriving partnerships with universities and research organizations across the world. (www.icipe.org).
The job purposes
The International Centre of Insect Physiology & Ecology (icipe) seeks to hire a Research Assistant who will be responsible for undertaking the communication and community mobilization activities of the project in Tigray Region. S/he will sensitize communities on programme objectives and activities and be responsible for day to day activity implementation. In collaboration with staff of local partnering institutions, s/he shall also coordinate technical and logistical arrangements for the programme activities at community level, engaging community groups and structure and liaising with all stakeholder at the local level. S/he will be members of icipe Ethiopia office which is located at Regional Project Offices in Tigray Ethiopia.
- Ensure beneficiary targeting and selection procedure and criteria are done in accordance with programme policy for target beneficiary selection and as stipulated in the programme document;
- Liaise with programme officers/technical staff about the work requirement of the programme and ensure any feedback received from beneficiaries or target communities are shared in a timely manner with programme officers and responded to appropriately;
- Support in conducting baseline surveys and assist in data collection based on needs identified under the supervision of the regional programme manager;
- Assist in establishing of honey and silk value chains, training and collection centres;
- Assist in the capacity building activities on post-harvest processing of honey, beeswax and silk;
- Assist in training farmers and extension agents on improved beekeeping and sericulture technologies;
- Assist in liaising with the district Ministry of Agriculture and Administration offices to facilitate smooth implementation of the programme;
- Carry out a range of technical tasks as well as specialized duties assigned by the regional programme manager;
- Proactively build a strong working relationship with government partners in the relevant government Bureaus and private companies;
- Maintain good working relationship with staff and partners;
- Supervise and give technical support to community workers at their working sites/Kebeles;
- Monitor progress in the assigned activities regularly and ensure delivery of quality outputs;
- Prepare and follow up operational plans on a day to day and weekly basis
- High school certificate plus certificate in relevant field and three years relevant experience
- Diploma in Agriculture or other relevant field of study
Knowledge in relevant field and use of simple tools and equipment
- High school certificate with three years of relevant experience on Agriculture or relevant fields.
- Diploma with one year of relevant experience on Agriculture or relevant fields.
- Experience in participation in community mobilization and social works will be an advantage.
- Hands-on experience in working with community development activities.
- Valid driving license to ride a motorbike will be an advantage.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural work environment.
- Good working knowledge of written and spoken English essential.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information at various levels.
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office software.
- Disciplinary and multi-institutional work environment
This position reports to the Regional Project Manager.
Duty Station – Taetay Koraro in North Western Zone, Tigray Region, Ethiopia
Duration – 2 years
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted up to 29th October 2020. Interested applicants should submit: (a) cover letter; (b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses, telephone numbers). Candidates are required to apply online through ethiobjobs.
icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity.