The Center for Innovative Drug Development and Therapeutic Trials for Africa (CDT-Africa) is a World Bank supported center of excellence for education and research at the College of Health Sciences, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The main aim of CDT-Africa is to serve as a platform for equitable access to interventions (medicines, vaccines, diagnostics and complex interventions) and bring about sustainable development in Africa through high-quality capacity development for innovative therapeutic discovery.
As part of this effort, CDT-Africa would like to hire experienced research associates who can assist CDT-Africa diagnostic reagent and assay development research projects.
Required No.: One
Terms of Employment: Full-time, 2 years, post subject to six monthly contract renewal
The Role of the Research Associate
The successful applicant will be responsible for conducting relevant diagnostic product development work for CDT-Africa under the guidance of CDT-Africa Centre Lead, & the key innovation unit heads.
- Work closely with project investigators to plan and co-ordinate study activities.
- Responsible for designs, conduct, and analyzes experiments for assay development activities throughout feasibility, design, and development stages of the product development cycle
- Designs and, where needed, re-designs assay conditions, buffer compositions, experimental parameters, and any other factors required for assay robustness
- Work on multiple projects, either individually or in small teams
- Assist and/or lead trouble-shooting activities for specific products
- Design and Perform rigorous method validations and data analysis/write-up/submission support.
- Assist in review data and make the appropriate decisions and takes action on them to drive projects to meet timelines
- Generate documentation in compliance with Quality Systems and Good Laboratory Practices
- Identifies potential problems early in a project and implementation phase and makes suggestions on how to resolve them while keeping key deadlines in mind
- Maintain laboratory notebooks
- Additional tasks as directed by the Head of the centre or study investigators
Terms and conditions
- Salary: negotiable depending on qualifications and experience.
- Hours of work: are governed by the laws of Ethiopia. However, the nature of the work is such that it might require working overtime and weekends, with due financial compensation.
- Holidays: are governed by the rules of Addis Ababa University for project workers.
- Length of contract: this is a two years subject to six monthly contract renewal.
- Probationary period and notice period: there is a three-month probationary period for this role. The notice period is one month.
- Technical knowledge and experience on quantitative or qualitative diagnostic assay development
- PhD in Biotechnology, Microbiology, Laboratory Science, molecular biology, Biochemistry or related field.
- Experience in the development of diagnostic products preferred
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Experience with diagnostic kit development research methods /procedures
- Strong computer program literacy and knowledge
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Well organized
- A high level of attention to detail
- Ability to work with others, including international collaborators
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
How to Apply
Candidates who fulfill the above requirements for both job posts should submit a short CV (maximum 4 pages) and a covering letter (maximum 1 page which should describe how you meet the requirements for the position). Applicants should bring original documents and also submit non-returnable copy of all required and supportive documents. The recruitment might involve written exam and at least one interview. Please note that we will only be able to contact shortlisted candidates.
The application should be submitted to the office human resource management of TikurAnbesa specialized hospital, College of Health Sciences AAU, Human Resource office located at the 1st floor of the new building.
The application should be submitted within 05 working days from the date of this vacancy announcement.