Seed Sector Advisor
GIZ- Internal / External Vacancy Announcement #149/2020
Supporting Sustainable Agricultural Productivity (SSAP)
The SSAP project supports the Ethiopian government’s efforts to improve conditions for the production of early generation seed strengthen the seed sector in Ethiopia and thus contribute to an increase in agricultural productivity on behalf of the German Ministry for Food and Agriculture (BMEL).
The third phase of the SSAP project (2021-2023) will be implemented in collaboration with the Ethiopian Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) and the Ethiopian Institute for Agricultural Research (EIAR). Several private and public partners support the project with providing expert advice and training opportunities.
Position: Seed Sector Advisor
Application deadline: November 30, 2020
Required Candidates: 1 (One )
Place of Work: Addis Ababa
The technical professional is responsible for
- Managing the work area “Quality Early Generation Seed Production at the Ethiopian Institute for Agricultural Research (EIAR)” together with the EIAR focal person, including the planning, coordination, implementation and monitoring of all project activities in this area,
- Assisting the management of interventions related to the cooperation with EIAR,
- Advising and supporting interventions related to faba bean and barley breeding as well as variety release and protection.
The seed sector advisor performs the following tasks:
1. Management of the work area “Quality Early Generation Seed production at EIAR”
The seed sector advisor
- Coordinates the results-based planning, implementation and monitoring of all project activities in the area of quality EGS production at EIAR,
- Plans and monitors expenses related to the work area,
- Manages the relationship to EIAR in the area of quality EGS production.
2. Assistance to the overall management of the cooperation with EIAR
The seed sector advisor takes over tasks in the areas of
- Steering of project activities with EIAR
- Planning and monitoring expenses
- Monitoring and management of local contracts and procurement
- Monitoring of activities and results
- Reporting to BMEL and other project partners as requested by the manager of cooperation with EIAR.
3. Technical advice and support in the areas of fava bean and barley breeding, variety release and protection
The seed sector advisor
- Supports the implementation of activities related to faba bean and barley breeding at EIAR, specifically national and international training activities,
- Supports the project’s interventions related to variety release and protection in collaboration with the Ministry of Agriculture,
- Contributes to planning, monitoring and public relations measures of the corresponding activities.
4. Communication, knowledge management and networking
The seed sector advisor
- Proactively makes proposals and prepares content for public relations measures,
- Prepares reports and presentations in collaboration with and upon request of the manager of cooperation with EIAR and the project manager,
- Keeps up-to-date with publications and events in his/her area of responsibility,
- Participates in and contributes to GIZ sector networks or other communities of practice.
5. Other duties/additional tasks
The technical professional
- Familiarizes him/herself and acts in accordance with GIZ rules and procedures,
- Actively uses and independently contributes to important project instruments and tools such as results-based monitoring instruments, photo and document repositories, operational plans and MS teams,
- Proactively contributes to meetings in the team, with the partner and in the cluster by moderating, taking minutes and taking responsibility for action points,
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Required Qualifications, Professional Experience and Additional Competencies
- MSc from an accredited university in Plant Sciences or agricultural business, economics or closely related field
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in the fields of crop breeding or seed production
- Experience with development cooperation projects is an asset
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Extensive knowledge of the Ethiopian agricultural research system, institutions and practices is essential
- Good working knowledge of MS Office
- Strong managerial and organisational competence
- Willingness to travel regularly within Ethiopia
- Very good knowledge of English (level C1), certificate preferred
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Ethiojobs or Email: email@example.com
“Please refer to our brochure to learn more about GIZ’s attractive benefit package.”
Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number ‘Seed Sector Advisor #149/2020 in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers. Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.