The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governanceÂ—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The USAID-funded Health Financing Improvement Program seeks to strengthen the health financing functions and systems to support universal health coverage of quality primary health care (PHC) services for Ethiopian citizens. Project objectives include increasing domestic resource mobilization for enhanced provision of quality PHC services, streamlining pooling of risk-sharing/insurance mechanisms for wider access to PHC services with reduced financial barriers, facilitating strategic purchasing of health services from public and private health providers, and improving governance, management and evidence-generation for health financing reforms and health facilities.
Under the supervision of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Director, the Knowledge Management (KM) Officer supports knowledge capture and transfer, collaboration, learning, sharing, and adaptive management. The position is based in the program’s headquarters office in Addis Ababa, with local travel as required. The position serves as a proponent of continuous learning and adaptive management to enable strategic knowledge transfer between regional/satellite offices and central office, partners, and stakeholders. The position supports the implementation of the program’s Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) plan.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Support the development and implementation of process/practices for knowledge management, program learning, and adaptive management
- Coordinate program repository of knowledge assets (e.g., presentations, reports, technical briefs, publications, etc.)
- Develop and introduce knowledge management tools and strategies to promote and support the institutionalization of CLA practices
- In collaboration with the MEL Team and Communications and Knowledge Management Advisor, design and facilitate learning utilization events (e.g. pause and reflect and learning opportunities, after action reviews, dissemination workshops for studies, etc.) to inform and improve program performance
- Support the design and development of project infographics, charts, maps, and other visual content for reports, publications, and other documents
- Build and facilitate communities of practice; promote use of knowledge-based platforms; facilitate conversations; organize and facilitate webinars, etc.
- Assist the Communications and Knowledge Management Advisor in drafting content for newsletters, websites, events, success stories, and other communication products
- Develop and maintain program-wide training and resource materials linked to knowledge management
- Tags climate change communities of practice data analytics data science disease prevention food security health financing health promotion health services health systems knowledge management latin america middle east primary health care resource mobilization social sciences universal health coverage
- Develop effective process of collecting and disseminating lessons learnt
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s Degree in Data Science, Communications, social sciences, or in a related area with demonstrated proficiency in KM
- At least 4 years KM and learning experience
- Demonstrated success in planning and implementing CLA and KM-related activities
- Excellent use of data analytics tools
- Excellent planning and management skills of project tasks and budgets
- Excellent written communication skills, in both English and Amharic; must write clearly and informatively
- Able to work effectively as a team member, and ability to produce high-quality work in a timely, cost effective manner
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel)
- (4+) years of experience and a Bachelor’s degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.