The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
For more information, visit website: https://www.icrc.org/
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Delegation in Ethiopia is looking to hire an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of WATHAB Engineer 1, based in Addis Ababa.
WatHab Engineer 1 plans, designs and implements engineering projects within the scope of the ICRC’s water and habitat assistance objectives with supervision and coaching from their hierarchical superior. S/he monitors on-site works, carries out needs assessments and surveys, and plans new projects. S/he has a close
working relationship with external stakeholders related to their projects.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assesses situations as per assignment and according to the Water and Habitat criteria and methodology, using the assessment tools that have been established for this purpose
- Designs projects technically as well as financially, and plan implementation.
Implementation and Monitoring
- Prepares tender documents
- Organizes material deliveries and follow-up in line with the Delegation’s rules and procedures
- Organizes the work on site with contactors.
- Monitors the implementation of projects and respect of standard of quality
- Proposes and takes corrective steps when necessary
Cooperation with other departments
- Remains informed on the general Delegation’s objectives and activities
- Gathers information and remains informed on security situation in the field, applying at all times the security rules
- Informs other departments on developments in the field and briefs them about WatHab projects
- Provides specific support to other departments when necessary
- Carries out his tasks in line with the prevalent rules and procedures for administrative and financial matters
- Makes all necessary arrangements for the field trips (vehicles, materials, tools, field trip forms)
- Writes field trip reports based on given guidelines
- Writes minutes of workshops and meetings
- Provides contributions to specific reports: assessment of new prisons, progress of works, WPA updates, financial follow up, time reporting
Administration – Finance
- Ensures necessary administrative work is implemented on time
- Knows, applies and complies with all the administrative procedures linked to his work (financial such as Time reporting, expenditure follow up, …etc)
- At all times, keeps files up-to-date of the projects under his responsibility
Office – Team supervision
- Develops and maintains a pleasant working atmosphere with colleagues and superiors.
- Participates in conflict management.
- Participates in internal meeting.
Interpretation – Translation
- Interprets accurately from English to National language and vice versa during field visits and otherwise, as required
- Translates documents from English to National language and vice versa as required
- Adapts his/her behavior to various interlocutors
Treatment of information
- Registers and treats information (general and specific) accurately and with confidentially
- Maintains regular contacts with ERCS offices, with other interlocutors (NGO’s, associations, etc) and exchanges information as required.
- Follows up on all work-related messages and correspondence with the relevant contacts and departments
- Is aware of the delegation’s objectives and has a good knowledge of the Movement and other contacts relevant to the position
- Collects and shares information so as to improve the ICRC’s understanding of the environment and humanitarian trends and responses
- Represents the ICRC in an appropriate way during activities, in meetings and in the field, and avoids any activity that may reflect negatively on the ICRC’s image
- Takes responsibility for their own professional learning and development
- Contributes to the analysis of the security, socio-economic, cultural and political environment relevant to the ICRC and share relevant information with colleagues.
- Reports events and changes within the region that could have an impact on ICRC’s activities and hence provides sound elements to the Delegation that allow to establish objectives and priorities.
- Participates actively in meetings.
- University Degree in Engineering (Civil Preferred) with a strong knowledge of water and sanitation
- 4 Years Work Experience in construction project management
- Good managerial, analytical and organizational skills
- Proficient in use of standard programmes (Word, Excel, AutoCad)
- Strong communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds
How to Apply
Electronic application can be made ONLY through the ethiojobs.net website. Alternatively, you can submit application & CV with copies of relevant documents in person to the ICRC Delegation in Addis Ababa (Around Megenagna, in front of EIAR, around Egziabher ab church OR, send to the ICRC Delegation Addis Ababa, Human Resources Department, P.O.Box 5701, Addis Ababa.
Closing date: November 30, 2020
Women and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted at all stages of the selection process